Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Default asparagus - leave or replant?

I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had empty - didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I should have done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart, tops of roots just under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it properly or just leave them? They all produced fronds last year which I left, cut down in autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while others have huge shoots, one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing what looks like seeds already. I've been trying to keep the bed moist but it's been difficult in the dry weather. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated ...