Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default syrphid fly

Well the Bumble bee has a partner this year and with the Melon vines I
now see syrphid flies.
Is there a good way to attract the hoverers? Are they pollen gatherers
or Nectar eaters?
There a perfect match for my melon and tomato plants.

Cheers

Old 14-07-2010, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Martin Riddle wrote:

Well the Bumble bee has a partner this year and with the Melon vines I
now see syrphid flies.
Is there a good way to attract the hoverers? Are they pollen gatherers
or Nectar eaters?
There a perfect match for my melon and tomato plants.

if you're talking about what i
think you are talking about
(hummingbird moths and other
hovering moths) these could
be the parent of the tomato
hornworm or the tobacco
hornworm. i.e. they will eat
nectar and lay eggs on your
plants which then will get
hatch and eat the leaves. so
watch out for the eggs/worms
and pick them off your tomatoes
if you really want a crop. they
can do a lot of eating in a very
short period of time...

squash have enough leaves
you might want to sacrifice a
half dozen to the worms, but
i'd still be leery of letting them
go hog wild as that could impact
your harvest.

songbird

Old 14-07-2010, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

[...]

Do you know how to google "syrphid fly, pic"?
Then you would know what you are talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverfly
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 14-07-2010, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Do you know how to google "syrphid fly, pic"?
Then you would know what you are talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverfly

Billy, we have had this conversation
before. i sometimes write replies when i
am offline so i cannot look things up.

my memory being what it is i took
hover and sy and confused them with
sphynx which is how i've always