Old 13-07-2010, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Has anyone tried planting ginger?

Just for grins, I planted a 4" chunk of ginger that I bought in the market
and now, after about 3 weeks of waiting, it's sent up a shoot. I was just
wondering if anyone else here has tried planting some before. So far, it's
only up about 1.25" and is in a 6" x 6" pot of my composted soil which
drains well and is pretty rich, but I'm wondering about light & moisture
needs and anything else someone might pass on.
TIA
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 13-07-2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day wilson,

you might have to pot it inot a 2 gallon pot, it will like full sun,
with your coming winter it will die back so you will need to keep the
pot moist but not overly and in a warm spot for it to grow back next
summer.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:55:58 -0400, Wilson
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 14-07-2010, 09:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:
Just for grins, I planted a 4" chunk of ginger that I bought in the
market and now, after about 3 weeks of waiting, it's sent up a shoot.
I was just wondering if anyone else here has tried planting some
before. So far, it's only up about 1.25" and is in a 6" x 6" pot of
my composted soil which drains well and is pretty rich, but I'm
wondering about light & moisture needs and anything else someone
might pass on. TIA

It grows in tropical and sub-tropical regions (zone 11-12). It likes
humidity and warmth and while natively it is a perenial it is grown
commercially as an annual. Here (warm temperate about zone 9) it can be
grown as an annual because there is a long growing season between the
frosts. Not knowing where you are I cannot say how well it will do.

David

Old 14-07-2010, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Just for grins, I planted a 4" chunk of ginger that I bought in the market
and now, after about 3 weeks of waiting, it's sent up a shoot. I was just
wondering if anyone else here has tried planting some before. So far, it's
only up about 1.25" and is in a 6" x 6" pot of my composted soil which
drains well and is pretty rich, but I'm wondering about light & moisture
needs and anything else someone might pass on.
TIA

Hello Wilson,

Your coordinates put you somewhere fairly close to the coast of Maine.
Like our location, neither one will be the ideal location for growing
ginger ;-). But, an interesting experiment in any event.

A few years ago in the early fall, Gerry planted a chunk in a pot in
the sunroom. It didn't`t take long to sprout and by spring the shoots
were about 18 inches tall.
She moved it out into an herb garden partially shaded by a black
walnut tree where it did amazingly well. Come fall again, she moved it
back into the sunroom where it went into a steady decline and
eventually gave up altogether. We assume it was the vast difference in
conditions, particularly humidity, that did it in.

Here`s an excerpt from an article by Bonnie Fisher, a culinary herb
authority. Her article is included in a book entitled Ginger East To
West by Bruce Cost.

1. Carefully select a firm piece of fresh ginger with plenty of knobs.
2. Use either a top-grade commercial soil mixture, or combine equal
parts sand, vermiculite, compost, and rich garden loam. Plant the
rhizome horizontally in a large clay pot with ample room both around
and below for the new tubers to grow. Cover the ginger with only
one-half inch of soil.
3. Put the pot over a steady source of heat, such as a radiator or
water heater; water the rhizome thoroughly and continually for several
weeks to get it to sprout. Once it sprouts, move it into the light and
reduce the amount of watering. The soil may be nearly dry between
waterings. It may be fertilized once a month with a mild fertilizer.
In the summer, the plant may be put in a sunny, wind-protected spot on
your porch.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 14-07-2010, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/14/10 10:26 AM, sometime in the recent past Ross@home posted this:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ross and to the others that replied as well. Don't know how far I'll
take this, but it will be fun to see what happens.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Old 15-07-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wilson wrote:
Thanks Ross and to the others that replied as well. Don't know how
far I'll take this, but it will be fun to see what happens.

I didn't notice the coordinates in the sig. So you are above 44 north.
Without a hothouse your growing season is far too short to give ginger time
to grow properly.

David

Old 15-07-2010, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Wilson wrote:
Thanks Ross and to the others that replied as well. Don't know how
far I'll take this, but it will be fun to see what happens.

I didn't notice the coordinates in the sig. So you are above 44 north.
Without a hothouse your growing season is far too short to give ginger time
to grow properly.

David

Don't you just hate it, when they don't listen to reason? Like we didn't?
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude