Old 21-07-2010, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Watermelon ?

How does one know that watermelons are ripe on the vine, other than
the morning after coyotes ruin the whole patch? Since animal
repellant washes away with rain/watering, I'd like to start applying
it a couple of weeks before harvesting but I can't tell when that time
is until it's too late. Or does animal repellant even work with wiley
coyotes?

Red
Old 21-07-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:39:32 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

How does one know that watermelons are ripe on the vine, other than
the morning after coyotes ruin the whole patch? Since animal
repellant washes away with rain/watering, I'd like to start applying
it a couple of weeks before harvesting but I can't tell when that time
is until it's too late. Or does animal repellant even work with wiley
coyotes?

Red

It may not be a viable option for you, but we haven't had any problems
with coyotes or deer since we got a dog. Unfortunately, the slugs
aren't afraid of her ; )

Newb

Old 22-07-2010, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

How does one know that watermelons are ripe on the vine, other than
the morning after coyotes ruin the whole patch? *Since animal
repellant washes away with rain/watering, I'd like to start applying
it a couple of weeks before harvesting but I can't tell when that time
is until it's too late. *Or does animal repellant even work with wiley
coyotes?

Red

It may not be a viable option for you, but we haven't had any problems
with coyotes or deer since we got a dog. *Unfortunately, the slugs
aren't afraid of her *; )

Newb

Must be a big dog. Coyotes will kill a small one. And no, a dog is
not an option for me.
Old 22-07-2010, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

How does one know that watermelons are ripe on the vine, other than
the morning after coyotes ruin the whole patch? *Since animal
repellant washes away with rain/watering, I'd like to start applying
it a couple of weeks before harvesting but I can't tell when that time
is until it's too late. *Or does animal repellant even work with wiley
coyotes?

Red

It may not be a viable option for you, but we haven't had any problems
with coyotes or deer since we got a dog. *Unfortunately, the slugs
aren't afraid of her *; )

Newb

Must be a big dog. Coyotes will kill a small one.

Yes, we've always had large breed dogs.

And no, a dog is not an option for me.

Coyotes are a pain, what do your neighbors do? If they trap or shoot
them, perhaps you could trade a nice fat watermelon for expanding to
your garden ; )

It may be worth it to try this:
http://www.freewebs.com/walnut_creek_enterprises/ I have no
experience with that product and that web site seems to be under
construction. If you get one, please let us know if it works.

Newb

Seedless Watermelon pollination H Hornblower Edible Gardening 6 20-08-2004 03:45 PM
Germinating watermelon Seed Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 13-07-2003 03:44 PM
Moon Star Watermelon Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2003 10:44 PM
watermelon? H United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:20 PM
Watermelon Question CORRWOOD Edible Gardening 2 14-05-2003 02:44 AM