Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Artificial light for outdoor tomatoes?

Our neighbors' giant maple trees continue to encroach on our view of the
sky and the sunniest parts of our garden now get only about 2 or 3 hours
of direct sun during the summer. With the economy the way it is, they're
not interested in any serious pruning for a while. Other than a
fortuitous windstorm or maple blight, we're probably stuck this way for
years.

The growing season in Minnesota is short enough without this additional
handicap.

Can artificial light speed up the ripening of outdoor tomatoes? Can it
be done without us ending up with tomatoes at $10/each?

We only have 3 plants, which used to be enough; two "early" varieties
and one conventional. One of the early plants will have some fruit ready
this coming week, but September is coming fast.

I see Web sites selling all sorts of lighting systems, but I'd like to
hear from people who aren't trying to sell me anything.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN