Old 27-12-2003, 08:04 AM
AndWhyNot

Default Artificial Light

Hi All and Seasons Greetings,

A freind has a light emmiting device (Bioptron) for the treatment of
leg ulcers (and very successfully it is too)

Just wondering what it would do to my African Violets which are
looking a bit sad at the moment, or indeed any sad indoor plant.

The device does not appear to generate any significant 'heat' so wont
fry the violets .............. I hope

Any ideas???

**** The wavelength of BIOPTRON Light ranges from 480 nm to 3400 nm.
The BIOPTRON electromagnetic spectrum does not contain UV radiation
*****
Old 27-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi All and Seasons Greetings,

A freind has a light emmiting device (Bioptron) for the treatment of
leg ulcers (and very successfully it is too)

Just wondering what it would do to my African Violets which are
looking a bit sad at the moment, or indeed any sad indoor plant.

The device does not appear to generate any significant 'heat' so wont
fry the violets .............. I hope

Any ideas???

**** The wavelength of BIOPTRON Light ranges from 480 nm to 3400 nm.
The BIOPTRON electromagnetic spectrum does not contain UV radiation
*****

If the wavelength limits you quote are correct, then your friend appears to
have fallen for a con trick. 480 nm is in the blue region, and the output
of the lamp is said to go from there, through the whole optical region all
the way to very far into the infra red.. That is in fact very much what an
ordinary light bulb does. Moreover, the 3400 nm wavelength is well into the
wavelength range of radiant heat. So, if as you say, there is not much heat
associated with it, there just is not much by way of radiation.

In short, your friend might as well use an ordinary light bulb, ( except for
possible psychological effects associated with the fancy name) and no, it
will not be of much use for your African Violets.

Franz

Old 28-12-2003, 09:42 AM
martin

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
ws.com...
[...]

ah but it's incoherent polarised light! :-)

http://www.disabilityworld.com/co/company.php?ID=303

"BIOPTON - Visible Incoherent Polarised light. The world's top selling
medical light therapy system
Made in Switzland, Bioptron products emit NO UV AT ALL. Based on 20
years clinical research and development, Bioptron medical light
therapy has no side effects. Bioptron light at 400 - 20000 nanometres,
contains the full colour spectrum of natural daylight but the special
feature of bioptron medical light therapy is that all the light waves
have been reorganised to oscillate in parallel (by being passed
through a configuration of 5 thin mirrors). Known as Visible
Incoherent Polarised light, research in hungary some 20 years ago,
showned that VIP light promotes a process of bio-stimulation of tissue
and blood cells, general both a direct and systemic reactions.

In cells that are unhealthy, the polar heads in the cell membranes are
out of position - bio-stimulation activates cell metabolism to correct
this with natural endogenic healing anda boost to the immune system.
We are all made up of 70 trillion tissue and blood cells, so you can
achieve benefits whereever the therapy can be applied. Biotron acts
through our very cell biology and this explains why it is such an
evidently versatile therapy."

Do a google search there's pages of similar stuff.

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html
--
Martin
Old 28-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html

"I are Harry of Borg. All your alien fancy dress are belong to us."

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 28-12-2003, 11:47 AM
martin

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:03:03 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html

"I are Harry of Borg. All your alien fancy dress are belong to us."

It's truly amazing what people will buy.

:-)
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 11:49 AM
martin

wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html

"I are Harry of Borg. All your alien fancy dress are belong to us."

I read the name as Harry Enfield. I can't think why.
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 12:41 PM
AndWhyNot

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:39:14 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
ews.com...
Hi All and Seasons Greetings,

A freind has a light emmiting device (Bioptron) for the treatment of
leg ulcers (and very successfully it is too)

Just wondering what it would do to my African Violets which are
looking a bit sad at the moment, or indeed any sad indoor plant.

But Martin ........ what wil it do to my African Violets, apart from
preventing leaf ulcers???

Old 28-12-2003, 12:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:41:16 GMT, AndWhyNot
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:39:14 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
news.com...
Hi All and Seasons Greetings,

A freind has a light emmiting device (Bioptron) for the treatment of
leg ulcers (and very successfully it is too)

Just wondering what it would do to my African Violets which are
looking a bit sad at the moment, or indeed any sad indoor plant.

But Martin ........ what wil it do to my African Violets, apart from
preventing leaf ulcers???

According to Franz nothing. I think it might give them a laugh.
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
ws.com...
[...]

Then it is an ordinary light bulb with an intervening sheet of Polaroid.
That still makes it a con trick.

If the sheet of polaroid were to be omitted, the received light would
contain as much of the polarised light rceived from the BIOPTRON. (In fact
a little more, since polaroid is not perfectlty transparent for the
polarisation state which it transmits)
You would then also have the added bebefit that the light with the
orthogonal polarisation would *also* be transmitted. Since the absorption
of light by tissue is essntially a linear process, this additional light
would not interfere with whatever the light of the "desired" polarisation is
doing to the tissue, and results simply in a somewhat improved illumination
of the tissue.

There is absolutely no other word for it, the OP's friend has been conned.
How much did he pay for this privilege?

Lastly, Switzerland is particularly well for known for being infested with
folk selling snake oil.

Franz

In cells that are unhealthy, the polar heads in the cell membranes are
out of position

The polar heads of cells are a matter of charge polarisation, not optical
polarisation. The same word "polarisation" is unfortunately used to denote
two physical phenomena which are unconnected, and the quacks have in their
ignorance thought that they were related..

- bio-stimulation activates cell metabolism to correct
this with natural endogenic healing and a boost to the immune system.

These twomlast lines are pure gobbledegook,m in the same category as Bernard
Shaw's famous "stimulate the phagocytes"

And how does the patient know when the polarisation of the light received
from the lamp is in the correct orientation to achieve the desired effect?

We are all made up of 70 trillion tissue and blood cells, so you can
achieve benefits whereever the therapy can be applied. Biotron acts
through our very cell biology and this explains why it is such an
evidently versatile therapy."

More bullshit. And I use the word after careful premeditation.

Do a google search there's pages of similar stuff.

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html

Marvellous.
I wonder if they sell pendula and pyramids as well.

Finally: The OP's friend might test to see if the light really is
significantly polarised. Look at the source through one lens of a pair of
polarising sunglasses. rotate the lens and see if there is an orientation
for which the emitted light is totally absorbed.

Franz