Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-08-2010, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What are the chances?

At the end of last summer, the chilli plants were just abandoned and left
standing where they were planted. Because we aren't big chilli users, the
plants still had quite a chillies left hanging on them and there they stayed
till recently.

In the past few weeks I've been clearing up and preparing that bed for
spring and noticed that the chilli plants were particulalry interesting.
Hanging off the chilli plants that had long thinnish chillis (cayenne??)
were old fruits that had stayed there all winter in the cold and frosty
conditions and all colour had gone from them as had all signs of flesh. I
had a bit of a chuckle because the skins looked a bit like condoms. Inside
them were lots of seeds. The little birds eye chillies too had lots of
seeds (I think I used about 3 of them in the time they were growing - what a
waste of grwoing space!).

Anyone like to take a guess and say what they think the chances of these
seeds being viable? The look OK and are in good condition visually. I
intend to take a punt on growing them when the weather finally warms up
enough, but don't have any idea at all if they will grow or not.