Old 25-08-2010, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The most droolworthy melon

Which is the best melon that you have grown in terms of intensity and
quality of flavour, and sweetness? We have to get down to specific
cultivars and if possible the source of the seeds, just saying "rockmelon"
is not helpful.

David

Old 26-08-2010, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Years ago I grew a yellow fleshed watermelon called "Yellow Doll" that was
wonderful. I think the seed came from Parks. I can't grow melons or 'lopes
at my present location so I don't try any more. If you can grow watermelons
give "Yellow Doll" a try.
Steve

Old 26-08-2010, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott said:

Which is the best melon that you have grown in terms of intensity and
quality of flavour, and sweetness? We have to get down to specific
cultivars and if possible the source of the seeds, just saying "rockmelon"
is not helpful.

Galia melons and either Yellow Doll or Yellow Pony watermelons.
(Haven't been able to grow melons in years, though.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-08-2010, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:17:28 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

David Hare-Scott said:

Which is the best melon that you have grown in terms of intensity and
quality of flavour, and sweetness? We have to get down to specific
cultivars and if possible the source of the seeds, just saying "rockmelon"
is not helpful.

Galia melons and either Yellow Doll or Yellow Pony watermelons.
(Haven't been able to grow melons in years, though.)

I planted honeydew in tubs this year and even with netting the melon,
the critters did away with it. Same thing happened to what I think was
a cantaloupe volunteer from compost mix-ins.

My flower bed in the front yard was liberally treated to compost and
the tomato and melon volunteers are so numerous and so healthy and
productive, that I am amazed. Of course, I have grown neither melons
nor tomatoes in that bed before.

I have no idea of what varieties of either I am growing. There are
cherry, grape and larger cluster tomatoes, as well as some sort of
heirlooms. And I cannot as yet tell what sort of melons are coming
up...not pumpkins, for sure. They look like cantaloupes and will be a
welcome surprise if they ripen. This bed is thoroughly fenced in,
although the tomatoes and vines are growing over the top and the deer
are happy with the overgrowth. I may add netting on top.

And the impatiens are really loving the shade.

Boron