Old 27-08-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing green beans

Does anybody know anything about growing green beans? We've always
raised green beans every year but this year it's been so hot.
They're
blooming but the blossoms aren't setting. People have said that if
it's too hot the blossoms won't set. It's finally cooled off. Will
we finally start getting beans or are the plants locked into a
specific growth cycle where if they're past a certain point they
won't
produce anything. They're an old fashion pole bean variety and the
vines are very healthy. There's just no beans on them. I don't know
the exact variety. The seeds came from my uncle. They're the seeds
he saved from the previous year's crop, and those came from the crop
before that. They are the best
green beans I've ever tasted. So far we've found a total of 10 beans
from 40 plants.
Old 28-08-2010, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 27, 6:48*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
wrote:
Does anybody know anything about growing green beans? *We've always
raised green beans every year but this year it's been so hot.
They're
blooming but the blossoms aren't setting. *People have said that if
it's too hot the blossoms won't set. *It's finally cooled off. *Will
we finally start getting beans or are the plants locked into a
specific growth cycle where if they're past a certain point they
won't
produce anything.

If the plant is still healthy they will commence to bear again.

They're an old fashion pole bean variety and the

vines are very healthy. *There's just no beans on them. *I don't know
the exact variety. *The seeds came from my uncle. *They're the seeds
he saved from the previous year's crop, and those came from the crop
before that. *They are the best
green beans I've ever tasted. *So far we've found a total of 10 beans
from 40 plants.

Look after them for a while longer there is a good chance they will have
more beans unless you have a short growing season and it now gets too cold!

David

Thanks. According to all the maps, we live in zone 6. Usually the
first frost doesn't occur until around the early part of October. I
hope they start producing soon. The vines are covered with blossoms
right now.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We've got beans now. I kept them watered and now that it's turned
cooler they're starting to produce like crazy. My aunt, who also got
some of the same seeds, pulled all her vines up early in the summer
because they were dried up. Perhaps if she had kept them watered like
I did and be patient she would have had beans now too. By the way,
the variety of bean is called Barnes Mountain Bean.