Old 30-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Kathy

Default Yellow leafs on veggie plants/fertilizer?

What type of vegetable plant food is best for plants that have yellowing
leaves, we are noticing some of the tomato and beans leafs are turning a
pale yellow at the bottom. I fear its from not enough nutrients in the
ground as our garden area was a hardened soil that hasn't been fed for
years. Thanks for you help, I'm going shopping this morning and need some
advice.

Kathy

Old 30-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:10:45 GMT,
"Kathy" proclaimed:

What type of vegetable plant food is best for plants that have yellowing
leaves, we are noticing some of the tomato and beans leafs are turning a
pale yellow at the bottom. I fear its from not enough nutrients in the
ground as our garden area was a hardened soil that hasn't been fed for
years. Thanks for you help, I'm going shopping this morning and need some
advice.

Hmm..yellowing of older leaves usually means a plant needs more
nitrogen, but you don't want to overload the nitrogen on
vegetables or you won't get anything but lots of very green
leaves.

Manure tea is a good organic solution, no pun intended. A local
nursery that specializes in organic gardening will probably offer
several kinds of fertilizers, from fish emulsion to a more
traditional granular kind.

If you aren't into organic gardening, and I do recommend you give
it a try, just run to Wal-Mart or Lowe's and get one of their
vegetable fertilizers.

Around here we've had so much rain everything looks a bit
peaked. I've been giving a bit of fish emulsion to both the
flowers and the vegetables.

Pam
Pam