Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Best tomato year since the Reagan administration

Doug Freyburger wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

This has been the best year that I've had for tomatoes since the
1980s,

We had a flock of tomato plants and averaged under two tomatoes per
plant. Not a good year here in Chicago metro area. The herbs all did
great.

The worst year for me. It was my fault. I was so busy during the summer
for my retirement and dealing with my replacement, I neglected my garden
horribly. In my haste, I planted everything to close, little maintenance
and just left to nature. Still I have enough for eating and tasted ok.
Perhaps a third as I hoped for canning and not as tasty. The tomato horn
worms did lots of damage.
This is my first week of freedom. Next year will be great year for
gardening!

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L wrote:
The worst year for me. It was my fault. I was so busy during the
summer for my retirement and dealing with my replacement, I neglected
my garden horribly. In my haste, I planted everything to close,
little maintenance and just left to nature. Still I have enough for
eating and tasted ok. Perhaps a third as I hoped for canning and not
as tasty. The tomato horn worms did lots of damage.

we had fewer worms this year, but i have
no idea why other than the most likeliest
explanations, fewer eggs were laid or
more eggs were eaten by other bugs.

my better idea is that we have more
birds around this year who are eating
all sorts of things. i've enjoyed watching
the bluebirds wrestling the huge grasshoppers
in the crushed limestone. we do not feed
the birds, we only have birdbaths for them.
so they actually have to forage.

This is my first week of freedom. Next year will be great year for
gardening!

congrats! and welcome to the funny farm.

songbird