Old 25-07-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bush Administration Threatens to Veto Bipartisan Food and Farm Legislation

Received this email few moments ago...thought it would interest some.

News from the House Agriculture Committee

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Media Contacts:
April Demert Slayton (202) 225-6872
Scott Kuschmider (202) 225-1496

Bush Administration Threatens to Veto Bipartisan Food and Farm Legislation

Agriculture Committee Chairman Collin Peterson issued the following
statement today:

"Today, the Bush Administration failed rural America and all Americans
by threatening to veto the 2007 Farm Bill passed by the House
Agriculture Committee.

This Farm Bill is supported by a broad spectrum of agriculture,
conservation, nutrition and renewable energy advocates. It
represents a carefully crafted compromise that includes substantial
reforms and new investments in programs that matter, including
fruit and vegetable production, nutrition programs, conservation and
renewable energy. Our bill implements Country of Origin
Labeling, improves food safety, and paves the way for energy
independence while preserving the safety net that our farmers and
ranchers need.

This is not the first time that the Bush Administration has turned its
back on American agriculture and rural America. They
repeatedly threatened to veto disaster assistance for agriculture, which
the Democratic leadership passed this year. The
Administration also vigorously opposed the 2002 Farm Bill, which
Secretary Johanns and others now praise as 'the right bill at the
right time.'

Political posturing is par for the course for this Administration, and
they have failed to pursue and achieve compromise on any
number of issues, including the Farm Bill. The House Agriculture
Committee put together a balanced, fiscally responsible Farm Bill,
and I am confident that the House of Representatives will stand with us
in supporting this important legislation."

###

The U.S. House Committee on Agriculture web site
http://agriculture.house.gov has additional information on this and
other subjects.
Old 25-07-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Media Contacts:
[...]

And, Dwayne Andreas and family of Archer Daniels Midland couldn't have
any of that, now could they?
Or, newish CEO Patricia Woertz, formerly of Chevron........ Guess she and
the Andreases called up George and Condi and did some 'splainin 'bout had
bad that'd be for the "family farmer".

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Media Contacts:
[...]

Still wondering where the oil and natural gas are gonna' to come from
to grow the corn that is gonna' free us from foreign oil;-)

Also been wonderin', if we won the eternal war on terror, Haliburton,
Black Water, et al, would have to go home, forget big profits, and find
honest work.

War came at a good time for Haliburton. Under Cheney's leadership,
Halliburton acquired Dresser Industries, Inc. for $7.7 billion in 1998.
Halliburton then had to spend $4.17 billion dollars to settle asbestos
claims against Dresser Industries. Somehow the debt was limited to
subsidiaries of Haliburton, like Kelloge, Brown, and Root which were
forced into bankruptcy protection.

Looks like Dick has handsomely paid back his debt to the company for his
gaff.

FB - FFF
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 26-07-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

at this rate 2007 will be long gone before they settle the farm bill for
this year,

yet another release received tonight:

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Media Contacts:
April Demert Slayton (202) 225-6872
Scott Kuschmider (202) 225-1496

Agriculture Committee Chairman Collin Peterson
Statement on the Ways and Means Committee's Offset to Increase Nutrition
Programs in the 2007 Farm Bill

"At every turn, the Bush Administration and Republican Leadership have
done their best to stall progress on the 2007 Farm Bill.

Mischaracterizing the offset that will expand nutrition benefits for
working families is just the latest attempt to derail this Farm
Bill, despite broad support for the bill from farm, conservation,
nutrition, energy, specialty crop and renewable energy groups.

Apparently, the Bush Administration and some in the Republican
leadership care more about defending the ability of foreign companies
to exploit a loophole in the U.S. tax system than they do about
supporting the hardworking families and farmers in this country. I
hope that they will reconsider their opposition and join us in
supporting this Farm Bill that represents a new direction for
agriculture policy.

###

Old 26-07-2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

Yep. Too bad there's not an alternative to corporate agribusiness farm
practices we could fall back on.

Also been wonderin', if we won the eternal war on terror, Haliburton,
Black Water, et al, would have to go home, forget big profits, and find
honest work.

I've read that war profiteering goes back hundreds of years, most times
in the same families of scoundrels. That's what they are so desperate to
protect.

War came at a good time for Haliburton. Under Cheney's leadership,
Halliburton acquired Dresser Industries, Inc. for $7.7 billion in 1998.
Halliburton then had to spend $4.17 billion dollars to settle asbestos
claims against Dresser Industries. Somehow the debt was limited to
subsidiaries of Haliburton, like Kelloge, Brown, and Root which were
forced into bankruptcy protection.

Looks like Dick has handsomely paid back his debt to the company for his
gaff.

I wish I could invent an imaginary friend to take on all my debts and
make 'em go poof..... But, when he wins at blackjack, I get the goodies.
I'm just dumb I guess.

Old 26-07-2007, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

I wish I could invent an imaginary friend to take on all my debts and
make 'em go poof..... But, when he wins at blackjack, I get the goodies.
I'm just dumb I guess.

I hope I wasn't too general in my meaning. I'm saying from where I'm
sitting, it looks like Bush and Co. made up this war. Some ****ed-off
Arabs, and I presume many others, are angry at how the IMF and the World
Bank have been pillaging there economies. Since the 80s NSA has been
vacuuming international telephone calls, not much gets by them ( Body
of Secrets by James Bamford). The Twin Towers were the perfect target
for this "push back" as Ward Churchill would say. A terrorist
(nationalist) attack has been turned into an "Eternal War" against
everything that is anti-New American Century and along the way Bush has
developed a war in Iraq that he can't win (because he doesn't want to),
which keeps the "War Profits" flowing to the very worst of people. That
is the concept. The reality is all the dead and broken people that it
has taken to fill the Bush bank account.

I hope he gets his appropriate judgement from the American people.

Pelosi should be off the table.

FB (intercourse the *******) - FFF (raise a big stink)
Old 26-07-2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Let's not forget:

Scooter Libby
Cheney forging his home state
Gonzoles who doesn't remember anything
Guantanamo
Abu Graib (sp?)
WMD
Iran
Valeria Plame
Seven minutes
He doesn't read
Drunk daughters
Petrol making record profits
Enron
Halliburton

This list is endless. Why is it so amazng tha he'd threaten food and
farm legislation? Most farming is done now by huge corporations, not
small town farmers. This country has gone astray as a result of this
administration and we're hated more than any terrorist was ever hated,
across every nation in the history of the world. No shock to read
this post about farms.

Old 26-07-2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

I wish I could invent an imaginary friend to take on all my debts and
make 'em go poof..... But, when he wins at blackjack, I get the

goodies.
I'm just dumb I guess.

I hope I wasn't too general in my meaning. I'm saying from where I'm
sitting, it looks like Bush and Co. made up this war.

No, you weren't too general, but maybe I was. I can't begin to write the
volumes needed, but it's always been this way. I once found great insight
into the seeds of the power, corruption, and lies in "A World Lit Only by
Fi The Medieval Mind and the Renaissance: Portrait of an Age " by William
Manchester.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Lit-Only.../dp/0316545562

More contemporary, today's post he
http://takeitpersonally.blogspot.com/
"Smedley Butler Foretold Our Future"
"WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily
the most profitable, surely the most vicious."
by Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient: Major General
Smedley D. Butler, USMC [Retired] written in 1935.

Smedley Darlington Butler (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), was a Major
General in the U.S. Marine Corps and, at the time of his death, the most
decorated Marine in U.S. history.

More excerpts:
http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/ar...risaracket.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
"In 1934 Butler came forward and reported to the U.S. Congress that a
group of wealthy pro-nazi industrialists had been plotting to overthrow the
government of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in a right-wing military coup.
Even though the congressional investigating committee corroborated most of
the specifics of his testimony, no further action was taken."

Guess whose granddaddy was a "wealthy pro-nazi industrialist"?

[scroll down from the http://takeitpersonally.blogspot.com/
Prescott Bush and the attempted overthrow of the United States government, a
BBC radio documentary

"The coup was aimed at toppling President Franklin D Roosevelt with the
help of half-a-million war veterans. The plotters, who were alleged to
involve some of the most famous families in America, (owners of Heinz, Birds
Eye, Goodtea, Maxwell Hse & George Bush’s Grandfather, Prescott) believed
that their country should adopt the policies of Hitler and Mussolini to beat
the great depression."

Old 26-07-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

and how many of us end up talking to somebody in Timbuktu when we call
companies for information, help with technology... Ingrid

Old 26-07-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:46:05 -0500, wrote:

and how many of us end up talking to somebody in Timbuktu when we call
companies for information, help with technology... Ingrid

Gotta harden your heart and politely but firmly request a Stateside
supervisor. They (in Bangladore or wherever) have to transfer you.
They have heard this 1M times, largely because of their accent. Some
are harder to understand than others.

Persephone

Old 26-07-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

It is strange that while technology flourishes and grows, human spirit
seems to be returning to the "Middle Ages" and it's reptilian mind. That
period when Mediterranean culture lost a thousand years of development,
from the fall of Rome in 500 AD to the "Renaissance" in 1500 AD, and
only rediscovered it in Arab translations of the Roman and Greek
originals. Not that the Arabs didn't contribute with what is now our
numbering system, including the concept of zero, the distillation
process, troubadours, and the idea of romantic love, to name a few.
Reminds me of the Bob Zimmerman lyric about Manhattan where buildings go
up to the sky and people go down into the ground.

The site: http://takeitpersonally.blogspot.com/ has me back in the
mainstream again. The Smedley book is a good read and only 80 pages
long. Listen up "jar-heads", he was a Marine General. Ain't no BS here.
Semper fi.

Yeah, looks like ol' Prescott's plan is back on the table. They wanted
Gen. Smedley to be their front-man but he blew the whistle on them
instead. Gen. Smedley spoke in favor of an early payment of a bonus that
the veterans of WWI had been promised to them (this was in 1932). His
support endeared him to all soldiers. Then Hoover set the dogs (Gen.
McArthur and Gen. Patton and their troops on the encampment. You find
honest men in the strangest places. Of course no good deed goes
unpunished as Gen. Smedley quickly discovered.

FB - FFF
Old 26-07-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

Thank folks for the interesting info. Smedley on order!

http://genealogy.about.com/od/presid...eorge_bush.htm

Bill who may not vote for Hillary as this family tradition stuff doesn't
sit well.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 27-07-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

It is strange that while technology flourishes and grows, human spirit
seems to be returning to the "Middle Ages" and it's reptilian mind. That
period when Mediterranean culture lost a thousand years of development,
from the fall of Rome in 500 AD to the "Renaissance" in 1500 AD, and
only rediscovered it in Arab translations of the Roman and Greek
originals. Not that the Arabs didn't contribute with what is now our
numbering system, including the concept of zero, the distillation
process, troubadours, and the idea of romantic love, to name a few.
Reminds me of the Bob Zimmerman lyric about Manhattan where buildings go
up to the sky and people go down into the ground.

I'm sure countless civilizations and societies have come and gone, all
the while believing they are the epitome of what has gone before and will
last forever. Yet, they are gone, and we will go, and it will start all over
again. We are capable of much ingenuity, but are still barely out of the
caves as a species.
All I can hope is that in this time period, we won't damage the planet
irreparably so that it can continue.

Old 27-07-2007, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

I'm sure countless civilizations and societies have come and gone, all
the while believing they are the epitome of what has gone before and will
last forever. Yet, they are gone, and we will go, and it will start all over
again. We are capable of much ingenuity, but are still barely out of the
caves as a species.
All I can hope is that in this time period, we won't damage the planet
irreparably so that it can continue.

It is embarrassing to think that dinosaurs survived for hundreds of
millions of years with their tiny little brains and we will be lucky to
just get past 1 million. I guess the real test will be when the nuclear
reactor's water gets turned off and they all melt down. I've always
heard the the cockroaches would survive. Eventually, with us gone, after
a very long time, things will get back to normal. See
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...ID=2691D71 6-
E7F2-99DF-38F54EF6075AAB4D

FB - FFF
Old 27-07-2007, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:34:39 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

The site: http://takeitpersonally.blogspot.com/ has me back in the
mainstream again.

OK...where the hell you been recently then?

What does this mean?

Charlie

It means that describing Bush as a "fellationist" has hit main stream.
Or have I been watching too much "Deadwood"? Na, I don't think so.

FB - FFF