Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Best tomato year since the Reagan administration

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
This has been the best year that I've had for tomatoes since the 1980s,
it's more than made up for last year's disaster. The most prolific plants
have been the Sugar Snacks which have produced many hundreds of tomatoes.
The Grape and Sun Gold Cherrys are also producing countless tomatoes, the
Tellow Pears are also doing OK but not as well as the Sugar Snacks, Sun
Golds and Grapes. My large varieties are just now starting to ripen but
they are all heavy with tomatoes. The first to start ripening have been
the Cherokee Purples, but now I'm getting Black Princes and Cosmonaut
Volkov's. I started the Black Princes and Cosmonaut Volkov's from seed,
this is the first time that I've been successful doing that.

The hot dry weather gets most of the credit, but the other thing that's
different this year is that I covered my garden with a horse manure mulch.

My cucumbers and corn are also doing well, they both failed completely
last year. The disappointment has been my blueberry bushes, last year in
they produced so many berries that I still have a freezer full of them,
this year I only got berries for a couple of weeks.

I'm in Massachusetts. Is everyone else having a good year also?

Do you mean for the first summer period of the year or the second one? I
did average for the first summer period of the year and I've not yet planted
for the second summer period so I can't forecast how my toms will go then. I
expect I'll get some cherry toms before the end of the calendar year though.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 13:56:07 +1000, FarmI wrote:

[...]

What do you mean by second summer period? Where do you live? In New
England it's always touch and go about having enough time for one crop to
come in before it turns cold.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

What do you mean by second summer period? Where do you live? In New
England it's always touch and go about having enough time for one crop to
come in before it turns cold.

Farml is in Australia.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

The summer that starts on 1 December 2010 (as oppossed to the first summer
period of the year which was in January and February 2010).

Where do you live? In New
England it's always touch and go about having enough time for one crop to
come in before it turns cold.

I live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

It's the sort of
thing that smelly old men find amusing to do to children.

Hey, Stinky, like some free-market Kool Aid?

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f.../12/bush200712

The Economic Consequences of Mr. Bush
The next president will have to deal with yet another crippling legacy
of George W. Bush: the economy. A Nobel laureate, Joseph E. Stiglitz,
sees a generation-long struggle to recoup.
by Joseph E. Stiglitz December 2007

When we look back someday at the catastrophe that was the Bush
administration, we will think of many things: the tragedy of the Iraq
war, the shame of Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, the erosion of civil
liberties. The damage done to the American economy does not make
front-page headlines every day, but the repercussions will be felt
beyond the lifetime of anyone reading this page.

I can hear an irritated counterthrust already. The president has not
driven the United States into a recession during his almost seven years
in office. Unemployment stands at a respectable 4.6 percent. Well, fine.
But the other side of the ledger groans with distress: a tax code that
has become hideously biased in favor of the rich; a national debt that
will probably have grown 70 percent by the time this president leaves
Washington; a swelling cascade of mortgage defaults; a record near-$850
billion trade deficit; oil prices that are higher than they have ever
been; and a dollar so weak that for an American to buy a cup of coffee
in London or Paris--or even the Yukon--becomes a venture in high finance.

And it gets worse. After almost seven years of this president, the
United States is less prepared than ever to face the future. We have not
been educating enough engineers and scientists, people with the skills
we will need to compete with China and India. We have not been investing
in the kinds of basic research that made us the technological powerhouse
of the late 20th century. And although the president now understands--or
so he says--that we must begin to wean ourselves from oil and coal, we
have on his watch become more deeply dependent on both.
(cont.)
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude