Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT heads up- long

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Found OCA Oxalis tuberosa said to
be a lost Inca tuber. A late fall baby potato like plant. This
found
in Nichols.

'Lost'????? It's grown commercially in NZ where it is known as NZ
yam.
http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/grow-your...s-grow-your-ow
n.h
tml

Farml do you know of any other lost vegetables ?

The only one that garden magazines regularly put into that group would be
the Wollemi Pine, however, since no-one except maybe at a pinch, a lost
Aboriginal knew it might perhaps have ever existed, I wouldn't even
include
that as being 'lost'. It was just never known by anyone in the western
world until 'discovered'.

I don't think any plants are ever lost except in the case of species
extinction. Plants in certain cultures might be unknown, but that is not
the same thing as 'lost'.

semantics

Sigh!

You asked a dumb question. I tried to give a response in unambiguous
English but it seems that didn't work so I'll put it another way.

How would I know of any "OTHER LOST" vegetables when I never knew that oca
was supposed to be 'lost' in the first place.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=1398

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Very cool book! I just wish it weren't so darned expensive.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/grow-your...yams-grow-your
[...]

Amazon has it for $42 and your library should be able to get it too.
Sometimes off the wall ventures in usenet lead to gold.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

So does whoever wrote that book thinks that Oca is rare or "little known"?

Do you own Phillips and Rix 'Vegetables' book?

If you do, have a look at it. It was published nearly 20 years ago and they
noted then that it was grown in New Zealand. It probably would have all the
supposedly 'lost' vegetables in it. Athough I don't know how much it would
cost these days, I consider all the Phillips and Rix books to be worth
buying for any gardener.

Old 28-12-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote:

[...]

Found it for $32. Excellent book, it even has lots of addresses of folks who
may have seeds. Thanks for the heads up Bill!
Steve

Old 29-12-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/grow-your...wn/yams-grow-y
[...]

Then you might also be interested in Lost Crops of Africa: Volume I, II,
and III.
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Crops-Afr...049903/ref=pd_
sim_b_1
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw

Gardening software heads up. Stephen Howard United Kingdom 1 29-04-2003 08:09 PM
First aid help req! The heads fallen off our Marguerite tree [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:44 PM
Q. Where can I get evening primrose flower heads dennis Gardening 2 02-04-2003 07:44 AM
Bulk Heads and Uniseals Doug Ponds 0 14-03-2003 03:08 AM
(LONG) Northwest Logging Heads South Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 4 04-01-2003 08:35 PM