Old 30-12-2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seeds

Is there really a difference between Wal Mart seeds and seen company
seeds?
MJ
Old 30-12-2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

Is there really a difference between Wal Mart seeds and seen company
seeds?
MJ

Interesting question that can garner many answers.

I'd hazard a guess that varieties are limited at Walmart which is not
a bad thing if you want a zinnia. But in time you may realize that
there are many types of zinnia or squash and that some of the obscure
may provide excitement and match your growing clime.
Variety is the spice of life comes to mind as does small plants that
bloom late and like shade and are edible and .
Then saving seed another long trip rears its head and plant propagation
and and and.

A complex art /science have fun.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 30-12-2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 30, 2:27*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

Ok Bill, is that yes or no?
Old 30-12-2010, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" wrote:

Is there really a difference between Wal Mart seeds and seen company
seeds?

First of all, most seed vendors don't guarantee the age of the seeds, only
the germination rate. You'll likely do OK at Wally World for the common
varieties, but keeping them for a few years may be dicey.
I'd rather support a seed company I like and respect, even if it means
paying a bit more. Fedco, for instance, is a co-op, with very good stock
and very reasonable prices.
Are you looking for cheapest possible, and not too worried about specific
varieties, or do you want plants that will do well in your area? Where you
are matters, and mass marketers don't always care.
The Seed Saver's Exchange has a retail catalog, but the hardcore addictive
stuff is in the member's yearbook, due Real Soon Now. It has been known to
cause severe outbreaks of Kid in the Candy Store syndrome.

OK, OK, so you asked the time, and we told you how to make a watch....

Old 30-12-2010, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 30, 3:12*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

Upstate NY Where? Lived most of my life in the Binghamton area