Old 28-01-2011, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Different soil in the garden

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
Baz wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

Do any of you go as far as having different soil mixes for different
plants in the garden. ?

Diesel.

Yes,
For example people usually add manure/compost when planting potatoes,
add
lime for bressicas etc.
Or have I got the question wrong? I often do.

Baz
http://fieldcrop.msu.edu/documents/E2893.pdf

Adding manure directly before planting can
increase risk of disease, such as common scab
(Streptomyces scabie) in potato. Consider carefully
manure effects and disease potential before
incorporating manure in the spring. Composted
manure will generally be much safer and
reduce disease risk.
--
- Billy

Thanks Billy. What timing. I was just thinking of adding manure from
Tractor supply. I was going to dump it in the snow. For Spring. If
you
put a lot of it in the composter bin. Will it make composting stop.
Will it
Burn it or something.

Diesel.

Manure from the stores are typically sterilized. If so, it can be used
immediately in the garden. Most bags of compost/manure sold in stores are
mostly sterilized animal manure. Plant compost is the GOLD that most
gardeners want and is the best and not typically sold in stores, got to
make your own. Look on the bag for NPK amount it is usually around .5 for
each of the NPK values.

However, fresh animal manures need time in the sun to dry before using in
the compost piles or directly in the garden. Not a good thing to put
down
fresh animal manure 90 days before planting, 180 days before harvest. I
would not put down fresh animal manure on wet ground or snow. Putting
fresh
animal manure on wet areas may cause liquifying of the manure and cause
contamination of local well and water systems.

But if your buying your compost at a store it is probably sterilized and
safe to use as you wish.

To be on the safe side follow Dan's (Nad's) advice, which I'm sure was
meant to be "put down fresh animal manure 90 days before planting, 180
days before harvest." Cornell agrees as well
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/orgmatter/index.html
I was sure that I had a reference to using fresh fertilizer with plants
(Fran and David apparently do), but I can't seem to find it. IIRC the
trick was not to splash water, which would transport the pathogens, onto
the edible parts of the plant in question. Such is my memory, but I
would follow the above advice until such time as there is a more
definitive answer.

Fran (FarmI) and I had a chin wag about this once and she came up with
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...lpg=PA123&dq=N
PK+%22fresh+manure%22&source=web&ots=40vqJHGGn4&si g=i3jd5aL_vv2kQE0cegX6u
vfsoe8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=resul t

It says of fresh vs rotted/aged manure that:
i) in the composting process, manure can lose up to half it's moisture
content and thus concentrate nutrients
ii) nitrogen in composted manure is fixed whereas in fresh, it's soluble
iii) solubility of P and K is greater in composted manure
and on P.125 it says that 'when manure is added directly to the soil, it
generally releases highly soluble nitrates that behave similarly to
chemical fertilisers, as well as ammonia, which can burn plant roots and
interfere with seed germination.'

Just so's you know, it is done both ways, but prudence must be used.

Adding manure to a garden in the winter where there is a good chance of
run-off, can lead to pollution of ground water, navigable waters, and
wells.
--
- Billy

Awesome stuff.

I appreciate the environmental input. However , Here. The water is if there
were wells, is not drinkable. And the ground and river are highly
contaminated by a steel plant, and farming runoff. I know for a fact I have
some type of steel plant slag under my soil two feet down from a flood
around1916. And theres kish from the plant that lands from the air .
Although their blast furnaces have been off for about two years. Over a
hundred plus years theres stuff in the soil. This is why I originally dug
18 inches out and filled in with horse manure 2 decades ago.

So, Im going to stick with my compost , and get a bunch of peat and sand to
mix in and use fish fertilizer again. There really isnt a problem. I was
just thinking of doing a general soil boost .

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
- Janet Kilburn Phillips
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered User

Adding manure directly to the soil before planting can increase the risk of diseases, such as common scab of potatoes. Carefully consider the effects of manure and the disease before any fertilizer is included in the spring.
__________________
Pond Liners
Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDiesel View Post
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Nad R
dude wrote:

"DogDiesel"
wrote:
"Billy"
wrote in message
In article ,
Baz
wrote:

"DogDiesel"
wrote in
:

[...]

Gardening Resources, Cornell University
I was sure that I had a reference to using fresh fertilizer with plants
(Fran and David apparently do), but I can't seem to find it. IIRC the
trick was not to splash water, which would transport the pathogens, onto
the edible parts of the plant in question. Such is my memory, but I
would follow the above advice until such time as there is a more
definitive answer.

Fran (FarmI) and I had a chin wag about this once and she came up with
The Rodale book of composting - Google Books
[...]

â?oWhen you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why
the poor have no food, they call you a communist.â?
-Archbishop Helder Camara
Links to Israeli Peace Groups
A week of racism in Israel - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
20111812130964689.html
I have been putting fresh animal manure on my allotment garden for thirty years and have never had 'burnt roots'. What have I been doing wrong?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tonythegardener wrote:
DogDiesel;911283 Wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
...-
In article ,
Nad R
dude wrote:
-
"DogDiesel"
wrote:-
"Billy"
wrote in message

In article ,
Baz
wrote:

"DogDiesel"
wrote in
:

http://tinyurl.com/68vnw6u

'Gardening Resources, Cornell University' (http://tinyurl.com/6kvrqag)

(http://tinyurl.com/653dahz)
[...]

the poor have no food, they call you a communist.â?Â
-Archbishop Helder Camara
'Links to Israeli Peace Groups' (http://tinyurl.com/6de33st)
'A week of racism in Israel - Opinion - Al Jazeera English'
(http://tinyurl.com/35lb6ls)
20111812130964689.html -

I have been putting fresh animal manure on my allotment garden for
thirty years and have never had 'burnt roots'. What have I been doing
wrong?

Animal Manure can contain pathogens that can make humans very sick or die.
The above statements was more about foods sources. Most plants will not
absorb those pathogens from the roots. However, if any manures get on the
food to be harvested then you and others will be at a much much higher risk
of getting very sick. If fresh manure is near the harvest plants hard rain,
stray animals, hands, feet scattering the soil, improper washing... Look
out. Animal manures need time to dry out before putting in the garden at
least 180 days before harvest and 90 days before planting to be safe... Or
safer. It is not about burned roots as more about human health.

Thirty years.... Count yourself lucky!