Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Round-up season is almost here.

http://www.rodale.com/roundup

Roundup Red Alert! What You Need to Know About the Pesticide Poised to
"Push Us All Off of the Cliff"
The USDA just approved another GMO crop dependent on dousings of the
pesticide Roundup. Here's what scientists say everyone who eats needs to
know about this not-so-benign chemical.

RODALE NEWS, EMMAUS, PA‹Last week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture
(USDA) announced its decision to allow farmers who favor genetically
engineered seeds to grow GMO alfalfa, also known as GE alfalfa, anywhere
they'd like‹even right up against a field of organic or non-GMO crops.
Due to the very real risk that genes from GMO alfalfa will transfer to
and contaminate the nation's organic and non-GMO alfalfa crops through
cross-pollination, organic and conventional farming groups, dairies,
consumer, and food-safety groups have united to send a clear signal that
a large portion of the population doesn't want GMO-laced food.

Roundup creates conditions for estrogenic toxin and neurotoxin buildup
in food‹and in us.

Huber, one of the world's top researchers of glyphosate, says we're in
"epidemic mode" right now in terms of plant diseases induced by Roundup
use. These plant diseases could affect humans and livestock eating the
diseased plants, too. As Jeffrey Smith, founder of the Institute for
Responsible Technology, points out, some of the fungi that thrive on
glyphosate produce harmful toxins that can enter the food chain, either
in human food or animal feed. Smith cites a UN Food and Agriculture
Organization report that links one such fungus, Fusarium, in the food
chain to certain cancers, a blood disorder, and infertility in animals.
Smith says USDA researchers have found a 500 percent increase in
Fusarium root infection when glyphosate is used on Roundup Ready
soybeans. (This toxin can also appear in corn, wheat, and other crops.)
"Like glyphosate, Fusarium toxins accumulate in our bodies, too," says
Huber.

(cont.)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
http://www.rodale.com/roundup

Roundup Red Alert! What You Need to Know About the Pesticide Poised to
"Push Us All Off of the Cliff"
The USDA just approved another GMO crop dependent on dousings of the
pesticide Roundup. Here's what scientists say everyone who eats needs to
know about this not-so-benign chemical.

RODALE NEWS, EMMAUS, PA (USDA) announced its decision to allow farmers
who favor genetically
engineered seeds to grow GMO alfalfa, also known as GE alfalfa, anywhere
they'd like Due to the very real risk that genes from GMO alfalfa will
[...]

I agree, The government is committing genocide against the American people.
In numerous ways. But Ive used roundup on my lawn and garden plot before.
And I am dependant on a grocery store. What do we do about it.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/blog/664
While visiting a seed corn dealerıs demonstration plots in Iowa last
fall, Dr. Don Huber walked past a soybean field and noticed a distinct
line separating severely diseased yellowing soybeans on the right from
healthy green plants on the left (see photo). The yellow section was
suffering from Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS), a serious plant disease that
ravaged the Midwest in 2009 and ı10, driving down yields and profits.
Something had caused that area of soybeans to be highly susceptible and
Don had a good idea what it was.

The diseased field on the right had glyphosate applied the previous
season. Photo by Don Huber
Don Huber spent 35 years as a plant pathologist at Purdue University and
knows a lot about what causes green plants to turn yellow and die
prematurely. He asked the seed dealer why the SDS was so severe in the
one area of the field and not the other. ³Did you plant something there
last year that wasnıt planted in the rest of the field?² he asked. Sure
enough, precisely where the severe SDS was, the dealer had grown
alfalfa, which he later killed off at the end of the season by spraying
a glyphosate-based herbicide (such as Roundup). The healthy part of the
field, on the other hand, had been planted to sweet corn and hadnıt
received glyphosate.

This was yet another confirmation that Roundup was triggering SDS. In
many fields, the evidence is even more obvious. The disease was most
severe at the ends of rows where the herbicide applicator looped back to
make another pass (see photo). Thatıs where extra Roundup was applied.

The herbicide doesnıt destroy plants directly. It rather cooks up a
unique perfect storm of conditions that revs up disease-causing
organisms in the soil, and at the same time wipes out plant defenses
against those diseases. The mechanisms are well-documented but rarely
cited.
1. The glyphosate molecule grabs vital nutrients and doesnıt let them
go. This process is called chelation and was actually the original
property for which glyphosate was patented in 1964. It was only 10 years
later that it was patented as an herbicide. When applied to crops, it
deprives them of vital minerals necessary for healthy plant
function‹especially for resisting serious soilborne diseases. The
importance of minerals for protecting against disease is well
established. In fact, mineral availability was the single most important
measurement used by several famous plant breeders to identify
disease-resistant varieties.
2. Glyphosate annihilates beneficial soil organisms, such as
Pseudomonas and Bacillus bacteria that live around the roots. Since they
facilitate the uptake of plant nutrients and suppress disease-causing
organisms, their untimely deaths means the plant gets even weaker and
the pathogens even stronger.
3. The herbicide can interfere with photosynthesis, reduce water use
efficiency, lower lignin, damage and shorten root systems, cause plants
to release important sugars, and change soil pH‹all of which can
negatively affect crop health.
4. Glyphosate itself is slightly toxic to plants. It also breaks down
slowly in soil to form another chemical called AMPA
(aminomethylphosphonic acid) which is also toxic. But even the combined
toxic effects of glyphosate and AMPA are not sufficient on their own to
kill plants. It has been demonstrated numerous times since 1984 that
when glyphosate is applied in sterile soil, the plant may be slightly
stunted, but it isnıt killed (see photo).
5. The actual plant assassins, according to Purdue weed scientists
and others, are severe disease-causing organisms present in almost all
soils. Glyphosate dramatically promotes these, which in turn overrun the
weakened crops with deadly infections.

Glyphosate with sterile soil (A) only stunts plant growth. In normal
soil (B), pathogens kill the plant. Control (C) shows normal growth.
³This is the herbicidal mode of action of glyphosate,² says Don. ³It
increases susceptibility to disease, suppresses natural disease controls
such as beneficial organisms, and promotes virulence of soilborne
pathogens at the same time.² In fact, he points out that ³If you apply
certain fungicides to weeds, it destroys the herbicidal activity of
glyphosate!²
By weakening plants and promoting disease, glyphosate opens the door for
lots of problems in the field. According to Don, ³There are more than 40
diseases of crop plants that are reported to increase with the use of
glyphosate, and that number keeps growing as people recognize the
association between glyphosate and disease.²

----

Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
by Toby Hemenway
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-S...culture/dp/160
3580298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271266976&sr=1-1
(The reference to Amazon isn't a suggestion that you buy from them, but
as a resource for reviews, and other general information. I always get a
book from the library, first, to assess it before I buy.
This book is available from better libraries near you.)

p.27
Our love of tidy but not very diverse yards is
imprinted on us by our culture. The immaculate
lawn, under siege from ecological writers every-
where, developed in the mild and evenly moist
climate of Great Britain. Its implications are deeply
woven into our psyche. A lawn in preindustrial
times trumpeted to all that the owner possessed
enough wealth to use some land for sheer orna-
ment, instead of planting all of it to food crops.
And close-mowed grass proclaimed affluence, too:

a herd of sheep large enough to crop the lawn
uniformly short. These indicators of status whis-
per to us down the centuries. By consciously recog-
nizing the influence of this history, we can free
ourselves of it and let go of the reflexive impulse to
roll sod over the entire landscape.

Our addiction to impeccable lawns and soldier
rows of vegetables and flowers is counter to the
tendency of nature and guarantees us constant
work. But we don't need to wield trowel and herbi-
cide with resentment in an eternal war against the
exuberant appetite of chicory and wild lettuce for
fresh-bared soil. Instead we can create conditions
that encourage the plants we want and let nature do
the work, as I'll show next.
----

So there is a learning curve in your future, if you want to garden
smarter, with fewer input$, and be rid of your contaminated yard.
There may be situations where I would use glyphosate, but for the life
of me I can't imagine what it is. Look up integrated pest management for
some problems, or google your problem in tandem with the word "organic".
In organic, if you take care of the soil, everything else is easier.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

function importance of minerals for protecting against disease is well
established. In fact, mineral availability was the single most important
measurement used by several famous plant breeders to identify
disease-resistant varieties.
2. Glyphosate annihilates beneficial soil organisms, such as
Pseudomonas and Bacillus bacteria that live around the roots. Since they
facilitate the uptake of plant nutrients and suppress disease-causing
organisms, their untimely deaths means the plant gets even weaker and
the pathogens even stronger.
3. The herbicide can interfere with photosynthesis, reduce water use
efficiency, lower lignin, damage and shorten root systems, cause plants
to release important sugars, and change soil pH negatively affect crop
[...]

I did get Gias garden from the library a while ago. I found the book
unrealiastic.Im not interested in planting beneficial ornamentals . I know
of a place like that, and it looks nice , but animals moved in. The racoons
and cats that are on the plot area nuisance to the neighborhood. if I tried
that here. It would standout to much.

The nematode book was much more useful. And Ive hated roundup for a long
damn time. Monsato too.