Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what varieties of tomatoes should I plant this year?

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.

I gave up on brandywines it requires a longer growing season unless you
begin them indoors way in advance. At least in Michigan.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.

I gave up on brandywines it requires a longer growing season unless you
begin them indoors way in advance. At least in Michigan.

That, indeed, is the downside to growing them. Even doing everything
right in a northern clime may not be enough, if Ma Nature decides to
throw you a cool summer. But when they do produce, they are wonderful.
Try starting indoors, planting through clear plastic to warm the soil
and accelerate ripening, and if you have plenty of sun, put them in a
hoop house.
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

On the other hand Big Beef tomatoes only ripen 2 weeks earlier than
Branywines. For early ripening, I plant with Stupice (55 days).
Check out www.vesey.com from York, Prince Edward Island, CA, for early
ripening varieties of everything.

I'm trying their "Quickie Corn" (58 days), as I've had very poor luck
with Golden Bantam.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:53:02 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.

I gave up on brandywines it requires a longer growing season unless you
begin them indoors way in advance. At least in Michigan.

Have grown in the past and have now started Brandy Boy Hybrid for this
year. They seem to mature about the same time as my other slicers and
have the Brandywine flavor. The few years I grew them they produced
very well. I think I stopped growing them when I got a bunch of new
varieties and didn't have room. Will let you know what they do this
year.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:53:02 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'm always lookin'.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

Corn does grow well in Michigan. Can be started early, corn seems to
tolerate a cooler night time temp than tomatoes. In Michigan there is about
90 days from frost to frost. That is plenty of time for corn. Many smaller
tomatoes varieties grow within 120 days so an early start indoors are not
to much of a problem.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:22:31 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

I tried the Brandywines 2 years. Admittedly, they were both bad
years, cold and wet, but I wasn't impressed.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.

I'll make a note for them next year-- I like colored cherries & I
seem to hit a lot of cold wet summers lately.

Thanks
Jim