Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default trying to compare several bush pumpkin types

For some time I've been searching for a pumpkin I remembered seeing
in the late 80's - a variety that was supposed to be bushy to save
space, worked ok for jack o lanterns, and also had seeds with no hulls.

We have limited space, but would like to let the kids grow a few
pumpkins. My wife and I love the seeds roasted, so I've been trying to
track this down.

I think it has come down to:

Tricky Jack - bush, small?

Triple Treat - ?, 7#

Trick or Treat - semi bush, 11#

These are the only descriptions I have been able to find. I would
really like to find reputable sources for these seeds.

I also wish I could find some more qualitative descriptions. What,
exactly, is the difference between bush and semi-bush pumpkin plants?

I think that Triple Treat is probably ruled out, due to likely large
vine size. I would like to try Tricky Jack, which was introduced in
1969, but can find no seed sources at all.

This leaves Trick or Treat, which has semi bush plants, but nice
sized pumpkins. Can anyone suggest a reputable place to find seeds?
I've found a couple of people offering them, but I'm worried that the
seeds may actually be crosses with another variety. (I worry more about
this, after planting what I was told were kohlrabi and getting rutabagas
a few years ago)