Old 15-03-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Bee garden

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In California, we have 2 nuclear sites, San Onofre, and Diablo Canyon
which set on the San Andreas Fault line. Since weather moves from west
to east, a melt downs at either plant, à lá Chernobyl, would send a
toxic plume all across the country.

Sleep tight =:Oo

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

And don't forget to mask tape your windows ;O))

Fingers crossed till it hurts.

Make it hurt worse. I'm watching News Line NHK and they are reporting
radiation leaks. So far they are telling people not to panic, but to
leave the area as fast as possible =:Oo

Read that Russia has okayed extra fuel to Japan and that this act of
goodwill my loosen up their relations when this is calmed down. Big +

Also read 1923 tsunami in Japan had MAJOR impact on formatting WWII.
Maybe a -
Found

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/

Which Had

Black Swan events over the past decade
€ Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon;
€ 78% decline in the Nasdaq;
€ 2003 European heat wave (40,000 deaths);
€ 2004 Tsunami in Sumatra, Indonesia (230,000 deaths);
€ 2005 Kashmir, Pakistan, earthquake (80,000 deaths)
€ 2008 Myanmar cyclone (140,000 deaths);
€ 2008 Sichuan, China, earthquake ( 68,000 deaths);
€ Derivatives roil the world¹s banking system and financial markets;
€ Failure of Lehman Brothers and the sale/liquidation of Bear Stearns;
€ 30% drop in U.S. home prices;
€* 2010 Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, earthquake (315,000 deaths);
€ 2010 Russian heat wave (56,000 deaths);
€ 2010 BP¹s Gulf of Mexico oil spill;
€ 2010 market flash crash (a 1,000-point drop in the DJIA);
€ Surge of unrest in the Middle East; and
€ Thursday¹s earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Do you have an emergency plan ready for when things get dicey . . . ?
Why not?
The time to do drills is before the blitz, not after.

Flooding down under did not make the list wonder why.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
Old 15-03-2011, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

wrote in message
On 15 Mar 2011 03:02:26 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:43:59 +0000, Nad R wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:30:06 -0400, Steve Peek wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
This is a follow on to the thread I started earlier about planting
birdseed. Cheap birdseed is a mixture of desirable (like sunflower)
and undesirable (like thistle) seeds so perhaps it makes more sense
to plant specific seeds that produce bee friendly flowers.

Besides sunflowers, what other cheap seeds will produce flowering
plants that bees will find attractive. The goal would be to have
flowers throughout from spring and summer, and into the fall if
possible, that will attract and support the local bee population. If
you were a bee checking the Bee OpenTable for restaurants, what would
you like to see on the menu?

Have a look at Monarda (bee balm). Budlea(butterfly bush) is a woody
shrub, but it self sows freely. Don't turn the henbit under until the
bees get a chance at it. Bees love mint flowers but it taints the
honey. The plant that covers more of the season is clover. Add some
white Dutch seeds to your lawn, toss some tall clover seed into those
edge areas along with the buckwheat. Having bees visit your property
means larger crops.

I've ordered a couple of pounds each of white dutch clover and red
clover from Amazon, I'll spread it on my lawn when the snow melts.

it will no longer be a lawn. It will be called a meadow.

Fine by me.

I've grown zinnia's along with sunflowers and the bees really like
them. I've found a bee asleep on a zinnia bloom more than once in the
early morning hours. Grew cosmos last year and that was popular too.
And okra - many creatures love okra.

I've found that my bees highly prize the blossoms from the mustard & turnips
that overwintered. Also, who could forget the squash family? I commonly see
3-5 bees per blossom in the morning.

Here the wild onions are the first to flower, and they attract bees, as
does our wisteria.
Old 16-03-2011, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

This is a follow on to the thread I started earlier about planting
birdseed. Cheap birdseed is a mixture of desirable (like sunflower) and
undesirable (like thistle) seeds so perhaps it makes more sense to plant
specific seeds that produce bee friendly flowers.

Besides sunflowers, what other cheap seeds will produce flowering plants
that bees will find attractive. The goal would be to have flowers
throughout from spring and summer, and into the fall if possible, that
will attract and support the local bee population. If you were a bee
checking the Bee OpenTable for restaurants, what would you like to see on
the menu?

cosmos, annual, very productive seeds,
also very ouchy if you grab one and it
sticks you. get the yellow, orange, reddish
mix (the pink, red, white varieties don't
produce as well when it comes to seeds).

the bees swarm them from mid-summer on
up until early frosts knock them back.

often i have harvested seeds or tagged
plants (when i was selectively pressuring
the color scheme) amid many different
species of bees. inches from my face, arm,
hands, etc. only stung once when i grabbed
some seeds and didn't notice i'd also
grabbed a flower with a bee in it.

plant seeds directly in warm soil (here
that is last week of May/Early June) under
a half inch of soil. water in after
planting and keep moist. will usually
sprout within 4days to a week.

i harvest seeds as soon as they turn black
and spread out. i select from certain
plants to continue encouraging variety.
easily more seeds than i can ever use.
very productive plants.

i leave the stalks up all winter as a
decorative windbreak. in the spring i have
a trench to pile them in and then bury
it to decompose. this season i will
probably bundle and burn them under a
pile of dirt to encourage some charcoal