Old 22-03-2011, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Worth discussing Gunner's PDF from Linda Chalker-Scott

http://www.theinformedgardener.com

I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good
addition to the garden soil. This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb
bone meal with a dash of dried blood.
The garden myths section is a good read. Good for newbies and good
for us set in our ways. Wonder why or how to do garden tasks is laid
out in an organized manner. I'd love to see the same organization
concerning traditional ways.
I read the PDF lightly as old dogs have a hard time changing and I'm
not sure she addresses issues I value like wood chips which I work in my
way.
Myths btw are the way people hand down information of value according
to Joseph Campbell.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 22-03-2011, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://www.theinformedgardener.com

I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good
addition to the garden soil. This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb
bone meal with a dash of dried blood.
The garden myths section is a good read. Good for newbies and good
for us set in our ways. Wonder why or how to do garden tasks is laid
out in an organized manner. I'd love to see the same organization
concerning traditional ways.
I read the PDF lightly as old dogs have a hard time changing and I'm
not sure she addresses issues I value like wood chips which I work in my
way.
Myths btw are the way people hand down information of value according
to Joseph Campbell.

And song. Don't forget the troubadours, e.g. The Song of Roland.

====
Old 23-03-2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

http://www.theinformedgardener.com

I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good
addition to the garden soil. This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb
bone meal with a dash of dried blood.
The garden myths section is a good read.

I looked at the bone meal item in the myths section. Yet again as we've
seen in recent cites, there is no mention that what is being said cannot be
universally applied. Not one caveat so it must be a universal truth. Not!

She mentions Proteas being sensitive to too much phosphorus and that they
ahve evolved that way but doesn't make the leap from that to link Proteas
with country of origin (and others in that family in other countrys where
that family of plants grow) and that those countries are deficient in
Phosphorus.

Good for newbies and good
for us set in our ways. Wonder why or how to do garden tasks is laid
out in an organized manner. I'd love to see the same organization
concerning traditional ways.
I read the PDF lightly as old dogs have a hard time changing and I'm
not sure she addresses issues I value like wood chips which I work in my
way.

I didn't bother once I'd read the bone meal section and noted her failure to
mention caveats and make appropriate linkages.

Old 23-03-2011, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

[...]

She repeated that if phosphorus levels are too high, over applied,
whatever, she never said what too high was. She gave no way of measuring
short of a chemical analysis.
-----
The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability - Paperback (May
1, 2009) by Lierre Keith
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myt...ability/dp/160
4860804/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300861296&sr=1-1
(Available at better libraries near you)

22 The Vegetarian Myth

And then there was K, potassium, available in ash, bones, urine,
manure and some cover crops. I could pretend I'd find a supply of ash‹
woodsroves being as ubiquitous as maple trees in western
Massachusettsand grow some cover crops, but 1 think by the time I got to
"K" I was too intellectually exhausted to bother. My food had to eat
before I ate it.

There were finer points, all of them sharp and hungry, that I
learned about growing fruit. I didn't have fruit trees yet, but they
were part of the mythic farm that waited in my mist-shrouded future.
Calcium is always a limiting factor in the soil. When the calcium
is gone, growth stops. And again, the calcium would come from ...
Would I finish the sentence with an organic box from the feed store,
laden with embodied energy and slaughterhouse dust? Or would I
learn the grammar of my great-grandparents, and feed the trees with
the bones of animals that lived beside me? Would there be any solace
in this information? I found one small comfort in The Apple Grower
by Michael Phillips. He quotes a book called The Apple Culturist from
1871, recounting the story of an apple tree near the graves of Roger
Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, and his wife Mary Sayles. The
roots of the tree were found to have grown into the graves and as-
sumed the shape of human skeletons while "the graves [were] emptied
of every particle of human dust. Not a trace of anything was left."19
-----

If you like weekends, thank an union.

=====
--
---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
Old 23-03-2011, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Worth discussing Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott

On Mar 22, 11:26*pm, Billy wrote:

who are we addressing today; billy goat, billy w/o a net or bill
rose?

She repeated that if phosphorus levels are too high, over applied,
whatever, she never said what too high was. She gave no way of measuring
short of a chemical analysis.

We call that a soils test, something you apparently do not endorse.
Since you apparently do not have one perhaps you can borrow one from
ole BWP's. We are all in the US, so it should be all the same,
right?

The Doc apparently doesn't like to make such grandoise and generic
suppositions as does your group of hacktivist. Funny how those science
type want to deal in those silly little tests when we have the McBeth
R&D trio.

Old 23-03-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 22, 1:46*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
*http://www.theinformedgardener.com

*I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good
addition to the garden soil. * This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb
bone meal *with a dash of dried blood. *

why? Cuz that is the way its always been done by your family?

* The garden myths ...{snipped}.... *

*I read the PDF lightly as old dogs have a hard time changing...

apparently there are a few ole dogs around here that have a hardtime.

I'm not sure she addresses issues I value like wood chips which I work in my
way.

Wood chips? really? so you mean she doesn't use wood chips like you
do or you didn't read her work?

Myths btw are the way people hand down information of value according
to Joseph Campbell.

Well, how about according to you instead. You still believe in myths
or facts?

You are probably a good ole boy in your own quirky way BWP, but
understand being old is no longer the defense against being stupid as
it once was.

Anyone that continues to be as intellectually dishonest as you
brothers bill will get no respect