Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter planting

Some background, I am in the southern hemisphere in an area that has winter
frost but not snow so some veges grow well right through winter.

Most of my winter veges (brassicas, lettuce, etc) are doing well in their
seed trays and will go out in the next week or so weather permitting. For
the direct-sown types I got garlic, peas and broad beans in a couple of
weeks ago. We have had some nice rain and it has been warm to mild so they
are doing well.

I also had a brainwave, I put net over the ground to stop various diggers
from ruining my seeds and seedlings. Worked just fine. Except the broad
beans have grown through the net where it hangs down in several places and
now I have to tease them back out of it.

David

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight since we
got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for having toddlers
around unless I could hand them back to mum but somehow that's how it is.
They are into everything, so full of life and energy and fun, joyfully
destroying without malice. New pics are available for those who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
[...]

I do know where I read this, but I think the best selling T- shirt had the
phrase "My grandkids have fur". A statement about our society for better or
worse. So congratulations on your kids and the pups

Summer is coming soon, it got into the seventies for the first time this
year... Yeah!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Some background, I am in the southern hemisphere in an area that has
winter frost but not snow so some veges grow well right through winter.

Most of my winter veges (brassicas, lettuce, etc) are doing well in their
seed trays and will go out in the next week or so weather permitting.
For the direct-sown types I got garlic, peas and broad beans in a couple
of weeks ago. We have had some nice rain and it has been warm to mild so
they are doing well.

I also had a brainwave, I put net over the ground to stop various diggers
from ruining my seeds and seedlings. Worked just fine. Except the broad
beans have grown through the net where it hangs down in several places and
now I have to tease them back out of it.

I've got to do that with all the netting on our trees.

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight since we
got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for having
toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but somehow that's
how it is. They are into everything, so full of life and energy and fun,
joyfully destroying without malice. New pics are available for those
who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Nice muts.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:33:55 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Are they full blood Kelpies? Too cute! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Oh, on topic - planted catnip, sunflowers, zinnias, some old
cornflower seed, larkspur, lima beans, marigolds and wrangled with
bermuda grass yesterday and today and it's been raining hard this
afternoon - I love the sound of rain, especially after planting. (The
dog however needs sedation during storms.)

Kate
Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight
since we got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for
having toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but
somehow that's how it is. They are into everything, so full of life
and energy and fun, joyfully destroying without malice. New pics
are available for those who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Are they full blood Kelpies?

They are said to be but we have some doubt about Leila, her fluffy fur and
white markings are atypical but not impossible for kelpies. Flynn is the
real deal.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight
since we got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for
having toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but
somehow that's how it is. They are into everything, so full of life
and energy and fun, joyfully destroying without malice. New pics
are available for those who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Are they full blood Kelpies?

They are said to be but we have some doubt about Leila, her fluffy fur and
white markings are atypical but not impossible for kelpies. Flynn is the
real deal.

Do you have any cattle other than Mootilda for them to stalk and round up
David? Speaking of Mootilda, how are you all getting along?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight
since we got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again
for having toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but
somehow that's how it is. They are into everything, so full of life
and energy and fun, joyfully destroying without malice. New pics
are available for those who care.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20birds/

Are they full blood Kelpies?

They are said to be but we have some doubt about Leila, her fluffy
fur and white markings are atypical but not impossible for kelpies. Flynn
is the real deal.

Do you have any cattle other than Mootilda for them to stalk and
round up David? Speaking of Mootilda, how are you all getting along?

No, they practice on chooks and horses which is not really desireable,
chooks get nervous when they get The Stare. Flynn got concussed by a horse
last week so he is being more circumspect. I no longer have the type of
neighbours who would let them practice on their cattle and I don't know
enough about it to train them for such work just to be good companion/guard
dogs.

Mootilda is doing fine she gets a little lonely if she can't talk to the
cattle over the fence. The last dairy bull in the district is gone - sold
up and moved away and I don't have the brass right now to build yards with a
crush so we can try AI, so the milking project is on hold for now. But
overall she is healthy and happy enough.

David

Old 14-04-2011, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Do you have any cattle other than Mootilda for them to stalk and
round up David? Speaking of Mootilda, how are you all getting along?

No, they practice on chooks and horses which is not really desireable,
chooks get nervous when they get The Stare.

LOL. I can see that chooklike nervousness now. My chooks don't like eye
contact for some reason even if I'm bringing them a tin of nice mixed grain
as a treat.

Flynn got concussed by a horse
last week so he is being more circumspect.

That'a valuable lesson worth having is you ask me.

I no longer have the type of
neighbours who would let them practice on their cattle and I don't know
enough about it to train them for such work just to be good
companion/guard dogs.

Mootilda is doing fine she gets a little lonely if she can't talk to the
cattle over the fence. The last dairy bull in the district is gone - sold
up and moved away and I don't have the brass right now to build yards with
a crush so we can try AI, so the milking project is on hold for now. But
overall she is healthy and happy enough.

It's a wonder she hasn't gone over a fence or three when she's bulling. Our
girls are right trollops if there's no bull in their paddock when they
decide they want one.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Flynn got concussed by a horse last anniversary so he is getting added circumspect. I no best accept the blazon of neighbours who would let them convenance on their beasts and I don't know enough about it to alternation them for such plan just to be acceptable companion/guard dogs.
Hydroponic Gardening Benefits