Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol, England
Question Why do my peppers look like this?

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started them inside on the window cill and when they were approx 4" tall i transplanted them outside. They took well and have grown a lot bigger and i've been well chuffed......Until a member of my family came round and said she had never seen peppers like that before. I used google images to google search every type of pepper plant, to only find not one similar image. Can someone please tell from the pic, what they are or what went wrong. I am first time gardener looking to get serious and would appreciate any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do my peppers look like this?-photo.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Why do my peppers look like this?

On Thu, 12 May 2011 07:50:43 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

JimmyPlant said:

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started

them

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...chmentid=13680

Those seem to be some sort of Asian cruciferous green, very
likely some type of mizuna.

Not peppers, but still a worthy crop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuna

You're an optimist.g I was thinking Canada Lettuce-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LACA

[not 'bad' lettuce for a weed]

Jim
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

JimmyPlant said:

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started

them

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...chmentid=13680

Those seem to be some sort of Asian cruciferous green, very
likely some type of mizuna.

Not peppers, but still a worthy crop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuna

You're an optimist.g I was thinking Canada Lettuce-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LACA

[not 'bad' lettuce for a weed]

Jim

I thought pat was on the mark, some kind of brassica rapa, there are
many cultivars with different leaves.

David
Old 13-05-2011, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

JimmyPlant said:

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started

them

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...chmentid=13680

Those seem to be some sort of Asian cruciferous green, very
likely some type of mizuna.

Not peppers, but still a worthy crop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuna

You're an optimist.g I was thinking Canada Lettuce-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LACA

[not 'bad' lettuce for a weed]

You can see the cotyledons at the base of one of the plants, which
are sort of heart-shaped, exactly like you would expect of a brassica.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 13-05-2011, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
-snip-

You can see the cotyledons at the base of one of the plants, which
are sort of heart-shaped, exactly like you would expect of a brassica.

Cool-- That's my 'lesson' for the day.

Thanks
Jim

Old 13-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol, England
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post

wrote:

JimmyPlant said:

Just over a month ago i planted some peppers from seed. I started

them

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...chmentid=13680

Those seem to be some sort of Asian cruciferous green, very
likely some type of mizuna.

Not peppers, but still a worthy crop.

Mizuna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're an optimist.g I was thinking Canada Lettuce-
PLANTS Profile for Lactuca canadensis (Canada lettuce) | USDA PLANTS

[not 'bad' lettuce for a weed]

Jim

I thought pat was on the mark, some kind of brassica rapa, there are
many cultivars with different leaves.

David
Thanks for the answers guys, i think Pat was spot on..... I can remember having some type of Japenese lettuce seeds?? I have blantently got confused somehow on the naming of the seeds planted.... and not knowing what they were to look like i didn't know. Appreciate your help, problem solved.