Old 25-05-2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Predatory flatworms.

Good pictures .

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/rea...alium-kewense/

Old 25-05-2011, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote:
Good pictures .

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/rea...alium-kewense/

Hmmm... I see I need to look more closely at the worms in my compost piles
and in my yards. Transplant worms from purchased flowers across the world?
So far I do not think I saw any dead good worms.

Old 26-05-2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 25 May 2011 21:17:20 -0400, PhoenixWench
wrote:

On 5/24/2011 11:08 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
Good pictures .

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/rea...alium-kewense/

Maybe someone here can help me with a two year old puzzle related to
this in a way. My hubby had left a 2'x 5' wide piece of plywood on a bit
of open ground over a period of about two years. When I decided to clean
up the area and piked up the wood I fully expected to pi$$ off a bunch
of worms. However, along with some very big healthy worms I also found a
couple of weird beasties - the same approximate 6 inch length, ruddy
pink color and slick skin as the average healthy earthworm, but with a
planarian looking wedge shaped head.... and four legs.

I was afraid of possibly hurting the mystery guests, so when the one I
picked up struggled strenuously to get away I released it to avoid
damaging it. I figured it must be some sort of newt or similar
amphibian, but so far I have been unable to get a reasonable answer. I
am in about zone 5a/b in the central NY Catskills, and since that day
have not seen these exact critters. I may lay down a board just to see
if I can catch another one if I don't solve this mystery!

I do what I can to create habitats for snakes, toads and other regional
critters - not squeamish about slime at all ;-) My entire property (a
bit over 1 acre) is organic and friendly habitat, as well as I can
manage. However I have not found an answer to the ID on these critters
in two years of asking :-P

The usual thing here is to make cairns of stones or bricks loosely
constructed, snakes lizards etc will take up residence in the gaps in
between. As the snakes around here are elapids we don't do this, in
fact the reverse, all piles of rubbish near the house are cleaned up
to reduce their habitat.

David
Old 26-05-2011, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

PhoenixWench wrote:
[...]

a picture would be very helpful if you
can find another one sometime.

my guess is some kind of newt or salamander.
they like piles of organic debris, but from
the description of the head i'd guess
salamander before newt.

I do what I can to create habitats for snakes, toads and other regional
critters - not squeamish about slime at all ;-) My entire property (a
bit over 1 acre) is organic and friendly habitat, as well as I can
manage. However I have not found an answer to the ID on these critters
in two years of asking :-P

eventually...

songbird
Old 26-05-2011, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
PhoenixWench wrote:

On 5/24/2011 11:08 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
Good pictures .

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/rea...orm-bipalium-k
ewense/

[...]

And it's not a salamander?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 26-05-2011, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

PhoenixWench wrote:
-snip-

Maybe someone here can help me with a two year old puzzle related to
this in a way. My hubby had left a 2'x 5' wide piece of plywood on a bit
of open ground over a period of about two years. When I decided to clean
up the area and piked up the wood I fully expected to pi$$ off a bunch
of worms. However, along with some very big healthy worms I also found a
couple of weird beasties - the same approximate 6 inch length, ruddy
pink color and slick skin as the average healthy earthworm, but with a
planarian looking wedge shaped head.... and four legs.

Here's a list of the NY Salamanders--\
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7485.html
I can't believe the DEC couldn't put a picture by each one-- but
Cortland did-
http://www.cortland.edu/herp/keys/salapix.htm

I nominate
Northern Spring Salamander
Allegheny Mountain Dusky Salamander
Redback

-snip-
amphibian, but so far I have been unable to get a reasonable answer. I
am in about zone 5a/b in the central NY Catskills, and since that day
have not seen these exact critters

-snip-

I do what I can to create habitats for snakes, toads and other regional
critters - not squeamish about slime at all ;-) My entire property (a
bit over 1 acre) is organic and friendly habitat, as well as I can
manage. However I have not found an answer to the ID on these critters
in two years of asking :-P

If their budget hasn't been cut, there used to be some real talkative
herp folks in the DEC in Albany. If you don't see your critter
listed on the Cortland page-- give them a call and try to describe it
to them.

Jim

Predatory Birds ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2007 03:08 AM
Predatory rabbits? ? ? Ray Gardening 7 21-05-2005 07:51 PM
protecting pond from predatory birds Reel McKoi Ponds 4 19-03-2005 11:20 PM
NZ flatworms was mega slug indoors Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 9 14-06-2003 12:08 AM