Old 18-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Reel McKoi

Default protecting pond from predatory birds

wrote in message
ups.com...
we have an existing pond that will be enlarged this year. we've
witnessed herons and falcons plucking goldfish from our pond (one brave
falcon actually ate a goldfish on our deck leaving the skeletal remains
for us to clean!)

what's the preferred way to keep our (soon to be) koi fish safe from
predatory birds.. new pond will vary in depth from 1 to 4 ft.

========================
Bird netting works for us. It also keeps out all the other predators we
have here.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Zone 6 TN

Old 19-03-2005, 09:21 PM

has anyone tried stringing fishing line across the surface of their
pond?

Old 19-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
oups.com...
has anyone tried stringing fishing line across the surface of their
pond?

===================
Yes. It did nothing for herons, King Fishers, mud turtles, bullfrogs and
snakes. I found *myself* tripping over it. :-( Coons don't come near our
house because of the dogs.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"The Universe is a figment of it's own imagination."

Old 19-03-2005, 10:43 PM
kathy

I've heard of one person having good luck with fishing line
but their situation was unique in that their pond lay between
two green houses. The fishing line made it impossible for
the birds to land anywhere close and I think those particular
birds weren't comfortable walking too great a distance landing
elsewhere and 'hiking in'.

kathy :-)

Old 19-03-2005, 11:20 PM
~Roy~

Herons also do a lot of their fishing at night. I often set outside in
the gazeebo, out of sight for the most part, and its not uncommon to
see a heron land way out at the other end of the field, and slowly
walk up through the field to the pond well over 300 to 400 feet.

On 19 Mar 2005 14:43:58 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

===I've heard of one person having good luck with fishing line
===but their situation was unique in that their pond lay between
===two green houses. The fishing line made it impossible for
===the birds to land anywhere close and I think those particular
===birds weren't comfortable walking too great a distance landing
===elsewhere and 'hiking in'.
===
===kathy :-)

Predatory flatworms. DogDiesel Edible Gardening 5 26-05-2011 01:53 PM
Predatory Birds ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2007 03:08 AM
Protecting blueberries from birds Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2007 04:26 PM
Predatory rabbits? ? ? Ray Gardening 7 21-05-2005 07:51 PM
Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 07:52 PM