Old 31-05-2011, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Slugs

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 03:57:56 -0400, "DogDiesel"

.au...
"Bennewby" wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy
but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

Saucers of stale beer or Marmite in water or other yeast in water mixes.

Thats what I should do with my god forsaken Marmite. And Vegymite.

Give it to the slugs.

Thanks

If you lack the gene for it Vegemite will never be food, if you have
it then it is the first thing after mother's milk.

And who decided toast and Marmite should be a national dish. Its an insult.

Old 31-05-2011, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bennewby" wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy
but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

Saucers of stale beer or Marmite in water or other yeast in water mixes.

Thats what I should do with my god forsaken Marmite. And Vegymite.

Give it to the slugs.

Thanks

If you lack the gene for it Vegemite will never be food, if you have
it then it is the first thing after mother's milk.

It's just a matter of having a privileged upbringing as opposed to being
deprived by not having access to yeast spreads.

Old 31-05-2011, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

When youčre down to only a few slugs, you can fall back on the
traditional organic control, which is to trap them with beer. Put an
inch or so of any beer in a cup, bury it in the garden nearly to the
rim, and collect your drowned slugs in the morning. Or, put some beer in
plastic drink bottles and lay them on their sides in the garden. The
slugs will crawl in and drown.

As I understand it, it's not drowning, it's the yeast. I'd always thought
that the yeast acts as a poison for slugs and snails so you dont' need huge
amounts of it. The dregs from the bottom of a bottle of beer that has been
drunk is enough. I've never used a lot of beer and still the snails have
died (and not whilst in the the liquid, but near it). Now you've got me
wondering about what it is about the beer and yeast spreads that works.

Old 31-05-2011, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

When youčre down to only a few slugs, you can fall back on the
traditional organic control, which is to trap them with beer. Put an
inch or so of any beer in a cup, bury it in the garden nearly to the
rim, and collect your drowned slugs in the morning. Or, put some beer in
plastic drink bottles and lay them on their sides in the garden. The
slugs will crawl in and drown.

As I understand it, it's not drowning, it's the yeast. I'd always thought
that the yeast acts as a poison for slugs and snails so you dont' need huge
amounts of it. The dregs from the bottom of a bottle of beer that has been
drunk is enough. I've never used a lot of beer and still the snails have
died (and not whilst in the the liquid, but near it). Now you've got me
wondering about what it is about the beer and yeast spreads that works.

Do you mean the little "fun-guys", themselves, or chemicals that they
produce, like ethanol? Unlike Coopers, I'm not familiar with any USian
beers that are "krausened" (leaving yeast in the bottle).

I've never had good luck using beer on snails and slugs. Maybe it is the
lack of yeast in the beer, or that most USian beer is so highly
processed, that our "refined" European snails may not recognize it as
beer. Micro-brewery beers, on the other hand, are too good, and too
expensive to put out for the marauding gangs of gastropods that used to
menace my garden.

I've seen very few slugs and snail this wet spring (19C and rain today).
When I put a plant in the ground now, it is still there the next day,
not just a green stump where the plant used to be. This I attribute to
my reliance on ferric phosphate (iron phosphate) baits.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 03:57:56 -0400, "DogDiesel"

m.au...
"Bennewby" wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without
using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy
but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

Saucers of stale beer or Marmite in water or other yeast in water
mixes.

Thats what I should do with my god forsaken Marmite. And Vegymite.

Give it to the slugs.

Thanks

If you lack the gene for it Vegemite will never be food, if you have
it then it is the first thing after mother's milk.

It's just a matter of having a privileged upbringing as opposed to being
deprived by not having access to yeast spreads.

Thats too funny!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

:-)) Perhaps you need to go buy some Vegemite or Marmite or Promite :-)))))
If you don't like the taste of it on your toast, (and anyone with any degree
of discernment, style and class will of course like it on their toast) you
can use it on the gastropods.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 03:57:56 -0400, "DogDiesel"

om.au...
"Bennewby" wrote in message

Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without
using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy
but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

Saucers of stale beer or Marmite in water or other yeast in water
mixes.

Thats what I should do with my god forsaken Marmite. And Vegymite.

Give it to the slugs.

Thanks

If you lack the gene for it Vegemite will never be food, if you have
it then it is the first thing after mother's milk.

It's just a matter of having a privileged upbringing as opposed to being
deprived by not having access to yeast spreads.

Thats too funny!!!

Indeed. But I suspect we might be laughing at different things.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"DogDiesel" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 03:57:56 -0400, "DogDiesel"

. com.au...
"Bennewby" wrote in message

[...]

You might be right. Your last statement can clearly be funny two
different ways. Both of which are indeed good.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

What? It's better than Nuss Nuggat with raspberry jam on toast? I
already have enough habits, most of them are bad, but I await the
opportunity to give it a go ;O)

I'm not sure what my formerly rampaging gangs of snails and slugs are
having for breakfast in that Gastropod Valhalla where they now reside.

Saw your waterspouts on the telly, very impressive, WOW.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

::-)))))
If you don't like the taste of it on your toast, (and anyone with any
degree
of discernment, style and class will of course like it on their toast) you
can use it on the gastropods.

What? It's better than Nuss Nuggat with raspberry jam on toast? I

Whoops, Nuss Nuggat is what they call it in Germany, in the States we
use the French brand, Nutella.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

:-)))))
If you don't like the taste of it on your toast, (and anyone with any
degree
of discernment, style and class will of course like it on their toast)
you
can use it on the gastropods.

What? It's better than Nuss Nuggat with raspberry jam on toast? I
already have enough habits, most of them are bad, but I await the
opportunity to give it a go ;O)

I'm sure we've all got a few habits we should give up.

I'm not sure what my formerly rampaging gangs of snails and slugs are
having for breakfast in that Gastropod Valhalla where they now reside.

I do hope there is a gardener there with large boots who likes nothing so
much as the satisfying crunch as the boot comes down on those soft slimy
bodies.

Saw your waterspouts on the telly, very impressive, WOW.

I just had to do a google. Very big and scary looking beasties. Wish those
selfish sods would send some decent rain in my direction - it always seems
to fall over the coastal cites these days. Sigh.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:

Saw your waterspouts on the telly, very impressive, WOW.

I just had to do a google. Very big and scary looking beasties.
Wish those selfish sods would send some decent rain in my direction -
it always seems to fall over the coastal cites these days. Sigh.

We got 70mm this week and 30mm last week, I'll email you some.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:56:22 +0000, Bennewby wrote:

Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

The iron phosphate slug killers are safe,

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/sluggo.html
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Location: cannock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
On May 29, 8:56*am, Bennewby
wrote:
Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using
slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy but
I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug
trails on them

--
Bennewby

if you can or can find a way... get some COPPER "shavings" and place
them around the plants upon which you wish to save. you can usually
find or buy copper shavings at lumber/timber yards; metal 'carving'
stores; best bet, tho' is through an art supply store; even a frame
shop is sure to have what you need!! ---- if you go to one or all of
those places, you can tell them your sad story, even bring a leaf or 2
with the place(s) you go to and lay it on thickly.
OR!! BEST THING of ALL? get up at dawnlight or e'vning light; grab
a pair of tongs which REALLY close tightly; and a 3lb. EMPTY can of
coffee in which you fill with approximately 1/2 of the can with salt
water; ratio of salt:water... 2/3 table salt to 1/3 tap water.
when you find tracks of the slugs, use the tongs OR a garden-gloved
hand to pick up EVERY slug you see and place DIRECTLY into salt
water!! do NOT for ANY REASON fill the can with PLAIN water, dump
slugs/snails into THAT and then go to dump can of plain water, slugs/
snails onto nearest concrete or cemented pavement and try to stomp the
life out of them..... because, GET THIS: ALL SNAILS &/OR SLUGS lead
a double life: they are ALL hermaphrodites--meaning they are all male
and female at the same time AND the females carry their eggs which are
encased in a plastic-type of casing which is ALMOST impossible to
break unless you have a KNIFE with you to CUT INTO the
casings!!!!!!!!!!!!
on the other hand, the salt water "smothers" them--cuts off their
ability to survive: TOTALLY!!!!!!!

PHEW!!!!!!!! i sure hope this answers your question(s)?!!!?

warm regards from "suddenly" zone 6 in western new hamster.
try filling a old pair of tights with road salt place them on ya border FOR AN INSTANT CURE !!!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Urban Wildlife wrote:

Skylark;924798 Wrote:
On May 29, 8:56*am, Bennewby
wrote:-
[...]

The above may be someone's idea of a joke, but to be sure that there is
no miss understanding, adding salt to garden soil is a very dumb idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_salinity
Causes of soil salinity
Salt-affected soils are caused by excess accumulation of salts,
typically most pronounced at the soil surface. Salts can be transported
to the soil surface by capillary transport from a salt laden water table
and then accumulate due to evaporation. They can also be concentrated in
soils due to human activity, for example the use of potassium as
fertilizer, which can form sylvite, a naturally occurring salt. As soil
salinity increases, salt effects can result in degradation of soils and
vegetation.
Salinization is a process that results from:
€ high levels of salt in the soils.
€ landscape features that allow salts to become mobile. (movement of
water table)
€ climatic trends that favor accumulation.
€ human activities such as land clearing, aquaculture activities and
the salting of icy roads.[2]

Consequences of salinity
The consequences of salinity are
€ detrimental effects on plant growth and yield
€ damage to infrastructure (roads, bricks, corrosion of pipes and
cables)
€ reduction of water quality for users, sedimentation problems
€ soil erosion ultimately, when crops are too strongly affected by
the amounts of salts.
Salinity is an important land degradation problem. Soil salinity can be
reduced by leaching soluble salts out of soil with excess irrigation
water. Soil salinity control involves watertable control and flushing in
combination with tile drainage or another form of subsurface
drainage.[4][5] A comprehensive treatment of soil salinity is available
from the FAO.[6]
High levels of soil salinity can be tolerated if salt-tolerant plants
are grown. Sensitive crops lose their vigor already in slightly saline
soils, most crops are negatively affected by (moderately) saline soils,
and only salinity resistant crops thrive in severely saline soils. The
University of Wyoming [7] and the Government of Alberta [8] report data
on the salt tolerance of plants.