Old 16-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Wirral
Default radishes!

Hello,

I am growing some radishes (for the first time!) but I am not sure if they have all gone a bit wrong. I am growing them in pots and they are in the garden in sun.

However, they seem to be pushing themselves out of the soil... it's like they are trying to escape?? So I assumed they are too close together and pulled some out, I thought they would be fine to eat but when I cut one of them open it wasn't solid inside (I'm not sure how else to describe it). Then I got a bit worried and through the ones I'd pulled out in the bin.

Should I just throw the rest away or can someone help me rescue them?!

Thanks very much!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day eleanor,

radishes can push up a bit, so no worries thee they may need thinning
which probably should have occured earlier, all i would do is pull the
biggest ones and eat them maybe put a bit of medium in to fill the
spaces, and go from there, or you can choose to pull the smallest ones
and eat them no need for any to go into the bin.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:48:02 +0000, queen eleanor
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 16-06-2011, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
queen eleanor wrote:

Hello,

I am growing some radishes (for the first time!) but I am not sure if
they have all gone a bit wrong. I am growing them in pots and they are
in the garden in sun.

However, they seem to be pushing themselves out of the soil... it's like
they are trying to escape?? So I assumed they are too close together and
pulled some out, I thought they would be fine to eat but when I cut one
of them open it wasn't solid inside (I'm not sure how else to describe
it). Then I got a bit worried and through the ones I'd pulled out in the
bin.

Should I just throw the rest away or can someone help me rescue them?!

Thanks very much!

What is the texture of the radishes like? Do they go "crunch", or are
they pithy and tough? If the latter, they are "post" ripe, but you could
keep them, and harvest the seed pods for use in salads, or since they
grow so fast, just replant.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 23-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Wirral

I'm not too sure of the texture. I might just try and grow some more.

Thanks for your help!

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM