Old 20-07-2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What's the best garden hose?

I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought
before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple
of the "no kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have
actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

Old 20-07-2011, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
I don't remember the name, but I bought the 120 foot from Sam's Club 4-5
years ago. It has a lifetime guarantee and has functioned well to this
point.
Steve
"Ohioguy" wrote in message
.com...
I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought
before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple of
the "no kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have
actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

I have Goodyear hoses that I am very satisfied with. Things to look for:
heavy, big heavy brass fixtures; not those thin cheesy brass plated ones
that bend if you step on them; long guarantee; high price. I like the 50'
and 100', as that is for usually substantial projects, and for the cheapie
little water jobs here and there, the cheapie 25 footers for $10 work. But
you'll end up spending $20 replacing the hardware over the life of the hose.
So, might as well get a Goodyear 25'.

The Goodyears don't kink, either. Those little cheap ones will if folded
wrong, or if they get a kink from twisting. Storage affects life, and
hanging up helps a lot. Draining water out in the winter is a good thing,
too. DAMHIKT.

Steve

Old 20-07-2011, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
"Steve Peek" wrote in message
I don't remember the name, but I bought the 120 foot from Sam's Club
4-5 years ago. It has a lifetime guarantee and has functioned well
to this point.
Steve
"Ohioguy" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

3/4" hoses tend to be better quality, and I suspect the larger diameter helps
resist kinks. Plus, they get more water to the sprinklers.

Old 20-07-2011, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
.com...
I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought before
kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple of the "no
kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have
actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

I got 100 ft of black commercial use water hose , probably 15 years or
older. It barely kinks. I think I got it from a roofer. But its so damn
stiff its a pain in the ass. To roll up. There hose that will do 3000
psi, and last 100 years on a water hose. And wont kink, if that's what
you want. Good luck rolling it up or moving it.

Old 20-07-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ohioguy wrote:

I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought
before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple
of the "no kink" ones I've bought)

In my experience the spool matters more than the exact type of hose.
For a while I went to Home Depot of Lowes and bought the heaviest model
of garden host they offered. None really prevented kinks but the
heavier hoses took longer.

Then I bought one of those large spools with the hand crank that stores
the host rolled up and dispenses the hose when pulled. Bingo, greatly
reduced kinks. So much so that I switched to focusing on how good the
interconnect hardware is not on how thick the rubber hose is. Cranking
the spool to reel in the hose handled the kinks. So I bought an even
bigger spool. I ended up with a coupe of crank spools big enough that I
could just barely pick them up. I could move them around my yard
without tools or move them longer distances using a two wheel dolly.
Old 21-07-2011, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought
before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple
of the "no kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have
actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2280,33160

We've had it for at least 6 years.

It's sat outside through every winter since because it usually snows
before I get around to bringing it in.

The brass fittings are still solid.

The hose is still fine.

I'm pretty sure we bought the 3/4 inch diameter version.

I'd buy another in a moment.

YMMV

http://www.leevalley.com/US/home/about.aspx
Old 21-07-2011, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/20/2011 12:38 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
I don't remember the name, but I bought the 120 foot from Sam's Club 4-5
years ago. It has a lifetime guarantee and has functioned well to this
point.
Steve
wrote in message
.com...
I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought
before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple of
the "no kink" ones I've bought)

Can someone recommend a brand and/or model of hose that you have
actually owned, and which you would say exceeds expectations?

Thanks!

I have Goodyear hoses that I am very satisfied with.

Things to look for:
heavy, big heavy brass fixtures; not those thin cheesy brass plated ones
that bend if you step on them; long guarantee; high price. I like the 50'
and 100', as that is for usually substantial projects, and for the cheapie
little water jobs here and there, the cheapie 25 footers for $10 work.

Hard to beat a good rubber hose and I think impossible to kink.

I've got one of these 25' never kink drinking water safe hoses:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100661316. I
/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

on a manifold at the end of my feeder 1" rubber.

Absolutely no problems and no kinks. Very flexible and convenient, so
far I love it. I'm looking for some good quick disconnects and I think
adding in a 50'.

I've seen the same licensed technology on other hoses elsewhere.

Jeff