Old 23-07-2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default DeadTaters ...

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised , the temps here have been in the
mid-to-upper 90's for like 8 weeks runnin' now . And yes, they've been
"hydrated" , and no I didn't overwater them . The ones next to the house
that only get part day sun are doing better , but still not well .
On another note , the zucchini's have started to come back , got 3 fruits
on the one that was least affected by the borers , flowers on another , and
the third is hangin' in there .
Cantalopes are doing well , and the cayenne pepper plants are loaded .
I've started watering the "wild" grape vine . I suspect the reason it's
never set much fruit is because of dry spring weather . If we're still here
next year , I'll find out ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-07-2011, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised , the temps here have been in the
mid-to-upper 90's for like 8 weeks runnin' now . And yes, they've been
"hydrated" , and no I didn't overwater them . The ones next to the house
that only get part day sun are doing better , but still not well .
On another note , the zucchini's have started to come back , got 3 fruits
on the one that was least affected by the borers , flowers on another ,
and the third is hangin' in there .
Cantalopes are doing well , and the cayenne pepper plants are loaded .
I've started watering the "wild" grape vine . I suspect the reason it's
never set much fruit is because of dry spring weather . If we're still
here next year , I'll find out ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

It's time for potatoes to start dying back. They are basically done, dig up
a hill and you should find full grown potatoes.

The blueberries are fruiting like gangbusters. I'm picking 3-4 gallons every
other day. I'm wasting away, but the chiggers are fat.
Steve

Old 24-07-2011, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I wish I was up at our place in the Ozarks ... Son and DIL and their spawn
spent some time up there last week . The blackberries are in full producion
, and ripenin' fast . And momma and baby bear are eatin' them as fast as
they ripen - the littlest g-daughter saw the baby , the son herded the
family all inside ASAP .
Smart move , IMO !!
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-07-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, the blackberry cobbler season! I need to take a hike into the
woods and see how the blackberries are.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.
Old 24-07-2011, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Our place is about a mile off the highway 9 miles south of Mountain View
Ar . Where there ain't heavy woods , there's blackberry brambles ... and
blueberries too , though only once have I managed to beat the critters to
them .
Oh , and the trees are liberally festooned with muscadine vines .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-07-2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like it's just a couple miles south of paradise!

Old 24-07-2011, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Pretty much how we feel too . No cellular service , no OTA TV , and you
can hear the birds . Too bad economics force us to stay in Memphis ... but
there's just not many jobs up there that aren't tied to seasonal tourism .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-07-2011, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/23/2011 9:00 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I haven't looked in the large field around the corner yet. Nosey
neighbor had the city clean out the blackberries across the street, the
weeds there are doing fine.

Jeff