Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default broccoli has failed to flower at all

My plants look pretty normal, nice big leaves etc. The only problem
is, here it is August and not one of them has flowered, i.e., NO
BROCCOLI! I have never had this happen before. A more typical
scenario is that the plants bolt, but in most years I get some nice
broccoli. May was very wet and cool, June and July very dry, and of
course there was a week of quite hot weather in July. "Quite hot"
means 90 or so, this is, after all, western New York and up in the
hills, so we don't generally have weather as hot as most other
places. Still, we did have 8 weeks with negligible rain, after
setting an all time record for rainfall in May.

Any ideas? Why did this happen to my broccoli? My kale seems ok, and
my brussels sprouts have grown normally but don't have any sprouts
yet. Tomatoes, corn, beans and peas have done well, poor yield of
potatoes. This has not been a normal summer. I didn't expect much
from the potatoes, the plants were spindly, but the broccoli plants
LOOK fine except for the flowering part.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

heteroscedastic wrote:

My plants look pretty normal, nice big leaves etc. The only problem
is, here it is August and not one of them has flowered, i.e., NO
BROCCOLI! I have never had this happen before. A more typical
scenario is that the plants bolt, but in most years I get some nice
broccoli. May was very wet and cool, June and July very dry, and of
course there was a week of quite hot weather in July. "Quite hot"
means 90 or so, this is, after all, western New York and up in the
hills, so we don't generally have weather as hot as most other
places. Still, we did have 8 weeks with negligible rain, after
setting an all time record for rainfall in May.

Any ideas? Why did this happen to my broccoli?

Did you start from seeds or buy plants? If the former, I'd
strongly suspect a mis-labeling along the way.

Small collards look like broccoli. I think broccoli raab would have
some florets by now-- but I've never grown it.

My kale seems ok, and
my brussels sprouts have grown normally but don't have any sprouts
yet. Tomatoes, corn, beans and peas have done well, poor yield of
potatoes. This has not been a normal summer. I didn't expect much
from the potatoes, the plants were spindly, but the broccoli plants
LOOK fine except for the flowering part.

The leaves are edible-- cook them up like Utica greens.

Jim