Old 19-11-2011, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Chile Japones

I grew Chile de Arbol in my garden last year and was not impressed. The
fresh peppers were hot but had very little flavor and the yield wasn't
all that good (yield might be better in the South.) I might as well
just buy dried de arbols. Has anyone tried growing chile japones? Are
they good, or a waste of time?

BTW, fresh Tabasco peppers are awesome.

-Bob
Old 19-11-2011, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 10:55 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

I grew Chile de Arbol in my garden last year and was not impressed. The
fresh peppers were hot but had very little flavor and the yield wasn't
all that good (yield might be better in the South.) I might as well
just buy dried de arbols. Has anyone tried growing chile japones? Are
they good, or a waste of time?

I used to eat both dried Japanese chilis and
arbol chilis a lot, and I never noticed much
difference except the arbol chilis were longer.
A Hispanic checker where I bought them insisted
arbol chilis are hotter, but I never noticed
that. It is true that the Japanese prefer
mild chilis, and use them mostly for flavor.

I've heard that growing conditions strongly
affect flavor, in particularly hotter conditions
are alleged to result in hotter chilis, but
I've never successfully grown chilis.

Nobody has ever successfully grown chilli.

Old 20-11-2011, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 5:42 AM, Sister Gratuitous Violets wrote:

I've heard that growing conditions strongly
affect flavor, in particularly hotter conditions
are alleged to result in hotter chilis, but
I've never successfully grown chilis.

Nobody has ever successfully grown chilli.

Somebody must be growing them. I just got back from the grocery sotre
and there were some for sale.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Nov 18, 7:46*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I grew Chile de Arbol in my garden last year and was not impressed. The
fresh peppers were hot but had very little flavor and the yield wasn't
all that good (yield might be better in the South.) *I might as well
just buy dried de arbols. *Has anyone tried growing chile japones? Are
they good, or a waste of time?

BTW, fresh Tabasco peppers are awesome.

Have you been successful with other chili peppers in your garden? Was
this a normal growing season for you, or extra cool, extra rainy, etc.?

Old 20-11-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Nov 18, 7:46 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I grew Chile de Arbol in my garden last year and was not impressed. The
fresh peppers were hot but had very little flavor and the yield wasn't
all that good (yield might be better in the South.) I might as well
just buy dried de arbols. Has anyone tried growing chile japones? Are
they good, or a waste of time?

BTW, fresh Tabasco peppers are awesome.

Have you been successful with other chili peppers in your garden? Was
this a normal growing season for you, or extra cool, extra rainy, etc.?

Not the growing season that just ended a few weeks ago, the year before
that. The other chiles did OK -- and these did too but just weren't
worth the trouble. There's not much meat on a de arbol pepper, and it
didn't have much taste except hot, and the heat was not really
extraordinary.

-Bob
Old 21-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
I grew Chile de Arbol in my garden last year and was not impressed. The
fresh peppers were hot but had very little flavor and the yield wasn't
all that good (yield might be better in the South.)
If you like chilli that are hot, fleshy and flavoursome, try rocoto. Colloquially known as tree chilli, but quite different from de arbol. They are more cold tolerant than other chillis, so can be more successful in an indifferent growing season than other kinds. I've been very happy with mine, grown out of doors in southern England.