Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Straw Bale Gardening

Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

Dick
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Pat is offline

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

Dick

I've done something similar. I had a huge number of molding bales of fescue
grass that I threw down in "flakes" all over the garden in the late fall,
after liming the soil. I tossed horse manure on top of the hay flakes and
just let everything sit over the winter. In spring, I moved the layers aside
for plants. It acted as a mulch. The next fall, I hoed all the stuff into
the dirt and added more layers of hay and manure.

If you keep that up for 4-5 years you can turn the roughest soil into rich
loam.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

What do you have in mind when you use the term 'straw bale gardening'?

I've grown spuds in a bed with straw bales around them and infilled iwth
dirt. I've cut a hole in a strawbale and put soil in and grown things in
it. I've used slabs of straw bales as a base for no-dig. I use lots of
straw bales in my garden and have no idea what on earth you mean by your
question.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

What do you have in mind when you use the term 'straw bale gardening'?

I've grown spuds in a bed with straw bales around them and infilled iwth
dirt. I've cut a hole in a strawbale and put soil in and grown things in
it. I've used slabs of straw bales as a base for no-dig. I use lots of
straw bales in my garden and have no idea what on earth you mean by your
question.

I was looking for people like you who have actually done it.

Have you tried tomatoes, onions, squash, or melons?

Dick

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

I've done something similar. I had a huge number of molding bales of fescue
grass that I threw down in "flakes" all over the garden in the late fall,
after liming the soil. I tossed horse manure on top of the hay flakes and
just let everything sit over the winter. In spring, I moved the layers aside
for plants. It acted as a mulch. The next fall, I hoed all the stuff into
the dirt and added more layers of hay and manure.

If you keep that up for 4-5 years you can turn the roughest soil into rich
loam.

So you are basically using your garden as a compost bin. Great idea!
One problem I have is my son's hay fever so fescue is out. We get a
lot of weeds in our yard so grass is out too. But in-garden composting
with straw is worth a try. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 02:20:55 +0000 (UTC), (Dick
Adams) wrote:

Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

I used straw bales and old shower doors for a cold frame one or two
years. It worked well.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Adams) wrote:
Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

I used straw bales and old shower doors for a cold frame one or two
years. It worked well.

I tried tomatoes in a bale a few years with no luck at all.I am not
sure exactly what happened but they didn't grow well and then got
wilt.
MJ
Old 07-01-2012, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 6, 6:04*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.
I used straw bales and old shower doors for a cold frame
one or two years. It worked well.

I tried tomatoes in a bale a few years with no luck at all.
I am not sure exactly what happened but they didn't grow well
and then got wilt.

Thanks - I'm considering tomatoes. *The management of my house
wants them planted in area she has assigned to me for gardening
because she thinks they will be top heavy.

As for the problem with your tomato plants, my initial questions a
1. Was there enough well-composted soil in the straw bale?
2. Were the straw bales adequately soaked and fertilized?
3. Did the plants get enough sunlight?

My limited experience says that vegetables should be planted in
rows North_to_South maximize exposure to the sun. *Last year I
crowded the rows of Habenero Peppers to fit them all in the
garden plot. *The quality of harvest was definitely a function
of row position - from excellent to poor.

Also I just learned that peppers are perennials! *So if they winter
indoors, they will prosper again the next spring. *This is great
news - expecially here in the Land of the damnyankee Snow."

There was no compost of any kind in the straw. They were soaked and
fertilized and had plenty of sun. The bale was placed between my 2
raised strip bed gardens so it was able to utilize the irrigation
system as well as the sun. To be fair, I have not had very good luck
with tomatoes in any way shape or form in this garden so I can't be
sure that the bale had anything to do with it. When I did pull the
plants out I did notice that the root structure was not as vast as
usual. There were hardly any of the tiny filler (finger?) roots. Maybe
the straw was too dense for them to grow.
MJ
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

Anyone here into straw bale gardening?
Like to read opinions on it before I try it.

What do you have in mind when you use the term 'straw bale gardening'?

I've grown spuds in a bed with straw bales around them and infilled iwth
dirt. I've cut a hole in a strawbale and put soil in and grown things in
it. I've used slabs of straw bales as a base for no-dig. I use lots of
straw bales in my garden and have no idea what on earth you mean by your
question.

I was looking for people like you who have actually done it.

Have you tried tomatoes, onions, squash, or melons?

I've planted a pumpkin into a well rotted bale into which I cut a hole. It
did well. If I was going to plant toms or beans, I'd do them in a bed with
bales around like Len did but in a smaller bed than he used. The spuds did
well in the bed we put bales around.

I always rot my bales for a while before doing anything with them unlike Len
did. I buy bales and drop them on the ground and then turn them when I
think of it so the soil microbes can start work on them.

Bales also work well to extend the growing season (beginnig and end) and
especially if they are starting to rot. Use them straight on the ground to
protect things and with an old window or some plastic on the top of them.