Old 30-12-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default straw bale garden update +

g'day friends,

we hope all had a very merry season and a happy new year to come.

anyhow we have added more pics of the straw garden to date plus some
general shots around the garden environ'.

we hope you get the time to look and enjoy as we enjoy the giving.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
g'day friends,

we hope all had a very merry season and a happy new year to come.

anyhow we have added more pics of the straw garden to date plus some
general shots around the garden environ'.

we hope you get the time to look and enjoy as we enjoy the giving.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Hi Len, Neat website, I enjoyed all the great pics and the way you made
the raised garden. How often do the bales go mulch-ie and need to be
replaced? Or is this an every year project yielding much good compost
with which to seed more beds?
Nan

Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day nan,

i did this project as a temporary bed and for a quicky bed, but so far
the bales are still there and doing their job since easter.

they are of course breaking down on the bottom and bottom inside edge
but that is to be expected and they by doing this creating habitat for
worms etc.,.

so before the winter planting this bed will be modified as it is not
quiet in the right place and new edging will be applied for now i will
use biscuits of hay to define the edge until we work out our permanent
edge.

we are doing a new bed now using the biscuit method i will take a
couple of pics of that to show the process.

but using hay as edging is temporary by nature, we just wanted to
expand ideas of setting up a garden and worry about the edging later
on, you know get things growing.

snipped

Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Very interesting site and story. Thanks for sharing! May I ask what you
mean by "mushroom mulch"? Is that just lots of horse manure?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day fragile warrior,

mushroom compost is the spent medium from mushroom farms, a very good
addition or even starter medium for gardens or around trees.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day fragile warrior,

mushroom compost is the spent medium from mushroom farms, a very good
addition or even starter medium for gardens or around trees.

how your water situation Len?

It was a bit dry here to the point I was considering using washing machine
water on the lawn. The very next day we had a good dump of rain and several
days of drizzle forecast (hot and humid weather being the payback). I have
since learnt a little about the affect on soil of the washing powder I use
(a combination of washing soda and borax) and I guess I won't risk it at the
moment.

An interesting trade off, the washing soda/borax are simple products and
hence low in inputs/energy to produce them and available in bulk, this is
advantageous. They are also highly alkaline which is a down side if using on
soil.

rob

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day rob,

things are very dry over here at the moment where we are, we are
getting some rain at present and over the past few days, but we are
far short of good seasonal rain needed to fill dams and aquafa.

we make our own laundry detergent and all grey water from the home
goes onto food gardens/trees.

what lawn/grass we have lives or dies don't matter to us.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:29:47 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
.. .

snipped