Old 21-01-2012, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Composting horse manure?

Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?
Old 21-01-2012, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message

Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?

No. And I'm not concered about any other forms of goobers in manure either.

Old 21-01-2012, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?

It has been a known problem since at least 2009. It doesn't make sense
that sellers of manure wouldn't protect themselves (conjecture) from
law-suit by testing for aminopyralid. In any event, it is best to know
where the manure came from, and best, if you can talk to the owner. They
may be a lying scum-bags, but if they have been in one location for any
time, they are probably trust worthy (at least when it come to manure).
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953

Old 21-01-2012, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:
Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?

As for the seed issue, know the provenance of your manure. I get it from
the horses outside my window and i know for sure that it hasn't been put on
my pasture.

David

Old 23-01-2012, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
phorbin wrote:

Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?

As for the seed issue, know the provenance of your manure. I get it from
the horses outside my window and i know for sure that it hasn't been put on
my pasture.

what a nice thing to have!

songbird
Old 23-01-2012, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

... know the provenance of your manure ...

I thought of a Monty Python spoof of a Cheech and Chong movie. ;^)
Old 22-01-2012, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
m...
phorbin wrote:

Is anyone at all still concerned about aminopyralid in manure?

Not I, but I know my sources.

Same here.

Old 23-01-2012, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Garden peas, beans and potatoes are especially sensitive to aminopyralid
and consumers are advised to test before applying manure of unknown origin,
including commercial products.

I was unable to find any independent studies of the issue. In my view,
anyone who thinks the USEPA is "independent" or "disinterested" is delusional: I
don't believe it any more than I take anything Dow publishes on the subject at
face value. They simply are grinding opposite edges of a double-bitted axe, if
you axe me.

yeah, sadly, a large portion of research done at
universities these days is sponsored by industry or
government and each has their own particular angle
and takes the results to massage them further. if
the answer isn't what they want to hear then they
discard it and hire someone else to do it again or
they don't bother to even get it right.

longer term, actual science and knowlege will win
out, but the short term damages have to be small
enough so that we can survive until the longer
term comes around. right now i fear the short
term is overpowering the longer just by the sheer
mass or inertia.

songbird