Old 22-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered User

Default Is this plum like fruit edible or poisonous?

Hi, I found some trees loaded with fruit but am not sure if they are edible. They look like small plums and I tasted one and it tasted like a plum but I don't want to end up in casualty so thought I had better check it out.
I hope someone can help - thanks :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Is this plum like fruit edible or poisonous?-2.jpg
Old 23-07-2012, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Cathyd" wrote in message

Hi, I found some trees loaded with fruit but am not sure if they are
edible. They look like small plums and I tasted one and it tasted like
a plum but I don't want to end up in casualty so thought I had better
check it out.
I hope someone can help - thanks :-)

|Filename: 2.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15180|

Looks like a plum to me too.

Old 23-07-2012, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Cathyd wrote:

Hi, I found some trees loaded with fruit but am not sure if they are
edible. They look like small plums and I tasted one and it tasted like
a plum but I don't want to end up in casualty so thought I had better
check it out.
I hope someone can help - thanks :-)

|Filename: 2.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15180|

Is there no nursery near you to which you could inquire? In France the
pharmacy (pharmacie) can identify poisonous plants. Might it be the same
in the U.K.?

My brief search on poisonous plums indicated that the pits (stones), and
leaves may be poisonous, but not the fruit.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 25-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyd View Post
Hi, I found some trees loaded with fruit but am not sure if they are edible. They look like small plums and I tasted one and it tasted like a plum but I don't want to end up in casualty so thought I had better check it out.
I hope someone can help - thanks :-)
They are indeed small plums, maybe the kind known as mirabelles or cherry plums. Perfectly edible.