Old 27-08-2012, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do with lemons

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

candied lemon peels are great for cooking.

I had forgotten candying, I will try that for some.

if it is dry enough i'm not sure if they
can be simply sliced and then dried, but i
have used dried lemon peels for cooking too
in the past.

more lemon cordial (how did you make this?
there must be hundreds of versions). consider
doing variants for cooking sauces later (garlic,
ginger, onion, spiced).

Wash and dry lemons. Zest them - only the yellow part. Juice them, boil
juice and zest 15 minutes then add as much white sugar as juice, dissolve
and bottle. It will keep indefinitely. To use add one finger in a tall
glass and fill with soda water, stir. Very yummy instant lemonade.

sounds great. we'd love anything lemon here.
Ma makes a lemon cake that others always request.

songbird
Old 28-08-2012, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

David

sell or give them away at a farmers market?
Old 29-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

David
A lot of things can be done with lemons. Fill your ice trays with lemon juice and freeze them. You can use those cubes whenever you need it. It can also make a great ice cubes for your iced tea. Cut into 4 halves add salt and preserve them, when they become soft add some spieces and can have along with you meal. Insead of vinegar use lemon juice in your cooking. Make sweet out of lemons like lemon cake, refreshing drinks, lemon pie and much more. Use lemon juice along with water to remove stains from your clothes, facial treatments and many more.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Lemoncello, it's an Italian drink.

Use a very sharp paring knife to cut -just- the zest, no white, from 15
lemons.
Place in non-reactive bowl.
Pour over the peels one 750 ml bottle of 190 proof (95 percent pure)
Everclear.
Most large liquor stores in the US carry it, you just have to look.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 5 days.
Strain out peels and bits that have fallen off.
Boil 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar. Cool.
Mix both and bottle.
Place in refrigerator to chill well. Sip without ice.
Makes 1 and 2/3 bottles 110 proof Lemoncello.

Shorti

Serve

Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Shorti wrote:
Lemoncello, it's an Italian drink.

Use a very sharp paring knife to cut -just- the zest, no white, from
15 lemons.
Place in non-reactive bowl.
Pour over the peels one 750 ml bottle of 190 proof (95 percent pure)
Everclear.
Most large liquor stores in the US carry it, you just have to look.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 5 days.
Strain out peels and bits that have fallen off.
Boil 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar. Cool.
Mix both and bottle.
Place in refrigerator to chill well. Sip without ice.
Makes 1 and 2/3 bottles 110 proof Lemoncello.

Shorti

Sounds wonderful. Except I have about 60kgs of lemons and I can't afford
that much alki (either to buy or to drink).

David

Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have about 60kgs of lemons

Ya bloody skite!

I have 2 pinkie nail sized lemons on my tree and last season I got maybe 10
tiny lemons. They tasted good but not the glut I've always wanted......

Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have about 60kgs of lemons

Ya bloody skite!

I have 2 pinkie nail sized lemons on my tree and last season I got
maybe 10 tiny lemons. They tasted good but not the glut I've always
wanted......

That's after I bottled, pickled and juiced the same amount. The la Nina
summer and plenty of chook does the job.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have about 60kgs of lemons

Ya bloody skite!

I have 2 pinkie nail sized lemons on my tree and last season I got
maybe 10 tiny lemons. They tasted good but not the glut I've always
wanted......

That's after I bottled, pickled and juiced the same amount. The la Nina
summer and plenty of chook does the job.

Ah! That's the secret! I'd better warn my lemon that force feeding is on
the way.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have about 60kgs of lemons

Ya bloody skite!

I have 2 pinkie nail sized lemons on my tree and last season I got
maybe 10 tiny lemons. They tasted good but not the glut I've always
wanted......

That's after I bottled, pickled and juiced the same amount. The la
Nina summer and plenty of chook does the job.

Ah! That's the secret! I'd better warn my lemon that force feeding
is on the way.

Don't overdo it especially if the stuff is fresh but they are heavy feeders.
I will give a dose in the next couple of weeks as soon as they show signs of
growth and then again mid summer.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have about 60kgs of lemons

Ya bloody skite!

I have 2 pinkie nail sized lemons on my tree and last season I got
maybe 10 tiny lemons. They tasted good but not the glut I've always
wanted......

That's after I bottled, pickled and juiced the same amount. The la
Nina summer and plenty of chook does the job.

Ah! That's the secret! I'd better warn my lemon that force feeding
is on the way.

Don't overdo it especially if the stuff is fresh but they are heavy
feeders.

:-)) Now David, you know that I am a long time and experienced pure poo
user. I've never yet killed anything from overfeeding. Undercaring then
yes, I will admit to that cause of death.

I will give a dose in the next couple of weeks as soon as they show signs
of growth and then again mid summer.

Yes, there is no sign of any active growth starting on my lemon yet. My
roses, yes, but not the lemon.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered User

you can never have too much lemonade!