Old 26-08-2012, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do with lemons

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

David

Old 26-08-2012, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon
juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months before
they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are insufficient
takers to give them all away. Any constructive suggestions?

David

Holiday lemonade stand for the kids.

Greg
Old 26-08-2012, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gregz wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months before
they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

Holiday lemonade stand for the kids.

I'd love to do something like that but my street has about 9 cars a day go
down it and my 'kids' are adults who live far away.

Old 26-08-2012, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the need is.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint.
When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 26-08-2012, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the need
is.

More than a hour drive :-(

Old 26-08-2012, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

craigslist free give away. might have
someone willing to come get them if they
know about them. put up a flyer at the
grocers/library/any other public bulletin
board.

fresh made lemonade. we can use a dozen
lemons a day for that alone.

slice them and pack them in sugar.

candied lemon peels are great for cooking.

more lemon cordial (how did you make this?
there must be hundreds of versions). consider
doing variants for cooking sauces later (garlic,
ginger, onion, spiced).

whisky sours.

not sure how to do it but lemon concentrate
for making other lemon things. not frozen, but
canned.

for later use in:

lemon custard, lemon cakes, lemon pies,

dang i'm hungry now...

songbird
Old 26-08-2012, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan preserved
lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen lemon juice or
more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If refrigerated I might
use half a crate over the next few months before they go rotten. There is
no market for them and there are insufficient takers to give them all away.
Any constructive suggestions?

David

Consider looking into preserved lemons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserved_lemon

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Preserved-Lemons-231570

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 26-08-2012, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

and my 'kids' are adults who live far away.

So, box them up and ship them. Citrus ships fairly well, perhaps the
"kids" would appreciate some?

I don't know what process Moroccan preserved lemons use (ah-
salt-pickling...), but candied (lots-o-sugar and then dry) slices is one
approach. Makes good winter-holiday gifts, might ship cheaper than whole
lemons.

Old 26-08-2012, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the need
is.

More than a hour drive :-(

Doesn't fit into one of your weekly shopping rounds?

Old 26-08-2012, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the need
is.

More than a hour drive :-(

Have you tried http://www.neighborhoodfruit.com/faq ? You can register
your trees and share what you have with others.

I made and froze lemon curd last year. That works if you have the
freezer space since you can't water bath can it.

Since your street isn't busy is there a place you could take the fruit
to share? Would the local hardware store let you put them out front
with a free sign? Sometimes people at our church will bring bags of
excess fruit from their trees and members of the congregation can take
what they like. Even if you don't belong to a church, there might be
one willing to share your fruit with their congregation members.

marcella

Old 26-08-2012, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

and my 'kids' are adults who live far away.

So, box them up and ship them. Citrus ships fairly well, perhaps the
"kids" would appreciate some?

I don't know what process Moroccan preserved lemons use (ah-
salt-pickling...), but candied (lots-o-sugar and then dry) slices is
one approach. Makes good winter-holiday gifts, might ship cheaper
than whole lemons.

thanks I will try candied.

Old 27-08-2012, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

craigslist free give away. might have
someone willing to come get them if they
know about them. put up a flyer at the
grocers/library/any other public bulletin
board.

fresh made lemonade. we can use a dozen
lemons a day for that alone.

See cordial below

slice them and pack them in sugar.

candied lemon peels are great for cooking.

I had forgotten candying, I will try that for some.

more lemon cordial (how did you make this?
there must be hundreds of versions). consider
doing variants for cooking sauces later (garlic,
ginger, onion, spiced).

Wash and dry lemons. Zest them - only the yellow part. Juice them, boil
juice and zest 15 minutes then add as much white sugar as juice, dissolve
and bottle. It will keep indefinitely. To use add one finger in a tall
glass and fill with soda water, stir. Very yummy instant lemonade.

Old 27-08-2012, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

Consider looking into preserved lemons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserved_lemon

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Lemons-231570

That is item #2 above. Great with targine. You can't use up a huge amount
that way as you would never eat the product before the trees bear again. I
already have enough for my own use and for presents for family and friends.

Old 27-08-2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Marcella Peek wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left.
If refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the
need is.

More than a hour drive :-(

Have you tried http://www.neighborhoodfruit.com/faq ? You can
register your trees and share what you have with others.

A bit far, I am in Australia.

I made and froze lemon curd last year. That works if you have the
freezer space since you can't water bath can it.

Running short of freezer space. I just froze 17 litres of orange juice as
well as the lemon juice. Today we do the tangellos.

Since your street isn't busy is there a place you could take the fruit
to share? Would the local hardware store let you put them out front
with a free sign? Sometimes people at our church will bring bags of
excess fruit from their trees and members of the congregation can take
what they like. Even if you don't belong to a church, there might be
one willing to share your fruit with their congregation members.

marcella

Yes it looks like that will be the answer if nothing else turns up.

Old 27-08-2012, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I have a surplus of lemons. Any constructive suggestions?

A slightly unusual use for lemons but a goodun: Lemon dusters:
http://www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz...ng_Recipes.php