Old 31-03-2013, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Spinach & onions

Got my spinach and onions set out yesterday. Finished them altho my
back was really tired since rain was predicted. It did rain some last
night.

Now how do I keep the cats from using the boxes as their private
toilet? I stuck some sticks in the boxes and will see how that does.
Any other ideas?
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

Got my spinach and onions set out yesterday. Finished them altho my
back was really tired since rain was predicted. It did rain some last
night.

that which does not kill us,
makes us tired and due for a nap.

Now how do I keep the cats from using the boxes as their private
toilet? I stuck some sticks in the boxes and will see how that does.
Any other ideas?

motion detector attached to sprinkler.

chicken wire around and over.

electric fence.

catnip powder mixed in/sprinkled on something
greasy that they'll get on their feet and start
licking. they'll forget about going potty and
become a source of instant entertainment.

songbird
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 23:09:50 -0400, songbird
wrote:

The Cook wrote:

Got my spinach and onions set out yesterday. Finished them altho my
back was really tired since rain was predicted. It did rain some last
night.

that which does not kill us,
makes us tired and due for a nap.

Amen

Now how do I keep the cats from using the boxes as their private
toilet? I stuck some sticks in the boxes and will see how that does.
Any other ideas?

motion detector attached to sprinkler.

chicken wire around and over.

electric fence.

catnip powder mixed in/sprinkled on something
greasy that they'll get on their feet and start
licking. they'll forget about going potty and
become a source of instant entertainment.

songbird

Thanks for the response. Think we are going to do chicken wire but I
love the suggestion about the catnip.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

The Cook wrote:

[...]

I put my chicken wire flat on the garden beds. It discourages raccoons
from digging through the mulch for worms. It would probably work for
cats too, except for the Alpha cat that will poop without burying.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Raccoons are pretty easy to handle, especially if you have a pet dog. Just let it guard outside at night. you can also try to turn on a talk show on the radio and leave it outside. Raccoons are sneaky animals, so they will probably shy off when they heard human voices.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
I put my chicken wire flat on the garden beds. It discourages raccoons
from digging through the mulch for worms. It would probably work for
cats too, except for the Alpha cat that will poop without burying.

prop it a bit up off the ground. kitties
won't like walking on it.

i'm a bit too late on the few sandy gardens
i wanted to top with some shredded bark/wood
mulch because the flowers are already coming
up. i am going to have to see if i can get
some of the smaller stuff screened out and
just use that until later when i can add the
bigger and sharper pieces in between taking
out the stubble from the flowers and planting
the cover crops.

songbird
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
pol_bishop25 wrote:

'Billy[_12_ Wrote:
;980042']In article ,
The Cook
wrote:
-
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 23:09:50 -0400, songbird

wrote:
-
The Cook wrote:
-
[...]

'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)

Welcome to the New America.
'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/3eorugd)

Raccoons are pretty easy to handle, especially if you have a pet dog.
Just let it guard outside at night. you can also try to turn on a talk
show on the radio and leave it outside. Raccoons are sneaky animals, so
they will probably shy off when they heard human voices.

I'm afraid my ol' dog likes his creature comforts as much as I do. He'll
ask to be let out, if he hears the raccoons, but otherwise prefers to
be next to the fire, or on the couch. He misses them sometimes though,
and then we will find that they have washed up in his water bowl. They
are cute animals, almost as big as "Beau", our border collie. Seems that
there is enough room here to share. Raccoons aren't particularly shy,
either. Neighbor had a whole family of raccoons come visiting via a dog
door, while he and his family were watching TV.

As far as leaving talk radio on for the raccoons at night in the garden,
I'm not that vicious.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/