Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Well , maybe

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after
the last frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Not my experience, and I'm a good deal further north (43°). Both
types I have have had green on them right through the winter, and are
pushing out new leaves now.

When was your last frost?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after
the last frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Not my experience, and I'm a good deal further north (43°). Both
types I have have had green on them right through the winter, and are
pushing out new leaves now.

When was your last frost?

We probably haven't had it yet. Average May 15, and average does mean
later is quite possible. Snow on May 19 in memory (broke a lot of trees
since the leaves were out - lilacs were in bloom.) "Safe for basil" is
more like memorial day.

Historically, frost will not bother the strawberry leaves, but may
bother the blossoms out at the time. Blossoms are starting to show up
now. It's probably been a week or two since the "most recent but not
expected to be the last" frost. Monday morning seems like a good bet for
the next one.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

When was your last frost?

We probably haven't had it yet. Average May 15, and average does mean
later is quite possible. Snow on May 19 in memory (broke a lot of trees
since the leaves were out - lilacs were in bloom.) "Safe for basil" is
more like memorial day.

This is an international ng, so what is the date of that?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Farm1" wrote in message
"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

When was your last frost?

We probably haven't had it yet. Average May 15, and average does mean
later is quite possible. Snow on May 19 in memory (broke a lot of trees
since the leaves were out - lilacs were in bloom.) "Safe for basil" is
more like memorial day.

This is an international ng, so what is the date of that?

Memorial Day in the US is usually the last monday in May . This year it's
the 27th .
--
Snag

Help: Weeping Cherry not doing well - growth maybe? Billy Gardening 2 05-04-2010 08:52 PM
Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
OFF TOPIC (totally!) well, maybe not? Judith in France United Kingdom 58 23-02-2009 04:14 PM