Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Well , maybe

someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd time I've
tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source . Twice now I've
purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots they package in bags of
10 with the same results . They apparently rot in the ground and never come
up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a couple of
plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if the cold and wet
weather we've had is the reason ... both of my 'maters have frost damage ,
though both seem to be recovering and putting out new gowth . And the green
onions planted the same day are doing great .
Also , got my freebie tiller up here now Stone Co. Ar. and after a bit
of ignition system cleanup it runs fine . Just won't transmit power to the
worm gear shaft because of a worn drive belt 4L300 . This is an old HWI
unit with an engagement lever on the handles , even has a tines only
reverse ! The guy gave it to me while I was rebuilding his sheds because it
was "dead" and he doesn't fix stuff , just pays someone else or buys new and
it was "too old" .
--
Snag

Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd time I've
tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source . Twice now I've
purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots they package in bags of
10 with the same results . They apparently rot in the ground and never come
up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a couple of
plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if the cold and wet
weather we've had is the reason ...

cold wet weather isn't their best climate for
growing, but it shouldn't kill them either.

put a note up on craigslist wanted for plants
and you may find someone more local with plenty
of plants they'll be willing to give away.

or you should be able to find actively growing
potted plants at a greenhouse, call around, they
aren't that expensive.

songbird
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
news
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

I plan on trying to find a couple of potted plants in the next few days .
Just today got the big tiller running stripped a gear in the little one ,
gotta break up and condition some more space .
--
Snag

Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd time
I've tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source . Twice now
I've purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots they
package in bags of 10 with the same results . They apparently rot in
the ground and never come up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a
couple of plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if
the cold and wet weather we've had is the reason ... both of my
'maters have frost damage , though both seem to be recovering and
putting out new gowth . And the green onions planted the same day are
doing great .

Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after the last
frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Terry Coombs wrote:
someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd time
I've tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source . Twice now
I've purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots they
package in bags of 10 with the same results . They apparently rot in
the ground and never come up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a
couple of plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if
the cold and wet weather we've had is the reason ... both of my
'maters have frost damage , though both seem to be recovering and
putting out new gowth . And the green onions planted the same day are
doing great .

Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after the last
frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

We've been told numerous time by numerous locals that the last frost is
*never* later than April 15th ... yet it froze/frosted here at least 3
nights in the last 3 weeks - as the blackened leaves on my tomatoes can
attest and the wife covered them on the coldest-predicted nights . I
noticed today that one guy on the highway out to our place always has a
very nice garden has nothing green showing yet . It has been unusually cold
this spring , been commented on a lot on rec.birds .
--
Snag

Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

The times they are a changing....

Old 09-05-2013, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

It's that damned Global Warming that's causing all this cold weather I
tell ya !!
--
Snag

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
It's that damned Global Warming that's causing all this cold weather I
tell ya !!

for some parts of the continents this
will be true.

songbird
Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Ithink it's easier to think of it as being 'climate change'. Here in the
southern hemisphere where I live, we are having unseasonal y warm weather.
By now we've usually had lots of killer frosts and the fires have been lit
and would be a regular feature of life for the next 4 months. So far it's
almost balmy.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

That comment was meant to be funny/sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek ... I
admit/agree that the climate is changing , I'm just not sure we humans can
take full responsibility for it .
--
Snag

Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after the last
frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Not my experience, and I'm a good deal further north (43°). Both types I
have have had green on them right through the winter, and are pushing
out new leaves now.

Both were also started from seed.

The bundles of suckers are often pretty sad - still, giving them a bit
more time before ripping them out is wise - 100% loss is not all that
common. They are often very dried out, which can't help.

Spring here is fairly normal, which is much better than last year, where
everything got excited by record heat in March and early April only to
be frozen solid in late April. No tree fruit at all.

And yes, global average higher temperatures can (and likely will) result
in local variations that are colder than normal. The system becomes less
stable. Most of the area suffering a cold spring now was roasting with
record heat all last summer...

Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after
the last frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Not my experience, and I'm a good deal further north (43°). Both
types I have have had green on them right through the winter, and are
pushing out new leaves now.

When was your last frost?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

You mean like acid rain, and the ozone hole?

How about the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre which in 1997, a couple of
estimates put at containing 3 million tons of plastic. That is the best
part of the story, it only gets worse. When it comes to fouling a nest,
we could teach rats a thing or two.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Well I'm not a scientist. Since I'm not, I have to take heed of the advice
given by those scientists who are interested, involved and engaged in the
areas of climate research. Their advice overwhelmingly says that humans are
responsible.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Last I heard some of the most vocal about global warming were caught
falsifying data to support their theories . IMO that ain't science . As I
said , humans play a part , but you have to realize that this big 'ol ball
of dirt we live on is itself a living organism . We are a small but
influential part of that overall organism ... kinda like that e. coli in
your gut .
--
Snag

Help: Weeping Cherry not doing well - growth maybe? Billy Gardening 2 05-04-2010 08:52 PM
Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
OFF TOPIC (totally!) well, maybe not? Judith in France United Kingdom 58 23-02-2009 04:14 PM