Old 30-05-2013, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting potatoes

Good morning to the Group from Arkansas USA .
My question to the group is when is the best time to dig potatoes ,when
they first bloom or when the plants die? Also does removing the blooms
increase the yield? thanks for all responses hlb

Old 30-05-2013, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Where in Arkansas ? I'm in Stone County , north central area . I suspect my
soil is a couple of years away from taters , if you look at it wrong when
damp it packs hard as concrete . Needs more organic stuff , it's mostly
silty clay and ... wait for it ... rocks .
--
Snag
There's a reason they

Old 31-05-2013, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I am from FT Smith in the river valley, this year has started off with
too much rain which may be the cause of all the potato blooms. Stone
County is a beautiful part of Arkansas. Sounds like farming could be
aggravating. good nite all hlb

Old 31-05-2013, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

HL B123 said:

Good morning to the Group from Arkansas USA .
My question to the group is when is the best time to dig potatoes ,when
they first bloom or when the plants die? Also does removing the blooms
increase the yield? thanks for all responses hlb

Best for what?

You can start sneaking some new potatoes any time the spuds are big
enough to suit you. Otherwise, wait until the vines die back.

If mice aren't a problem, you can store them in the ground until you are
ready to cellar them. If mice are a problem, you'd better hurry and
get them while you can.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."