Old 15-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Emma Seaton

Default Harvesting Potatoes

Hi - I'm growing potatoes for the first time. There are two varieties,
oscar and sante, and I would like some advice on when to cut the canopy back
and when the best time would be to dig them up. They are both maincrop
varieties which were planted at the beginning of May. They have just
flowered and are now setting seed.

Also out of interest, has anyone had experience of 'crown rot'? The oscar
variety has had quite a few causalties despite being sheltered by the taller
sante spuds. It has had an advantage of providing a small crop of new pots,
but I am wary of loosing the whole crop to crown rot.

Cheers

Emma