Old 21-07-2013, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic harvest (seems early, but already late for some)

Pulled all of someone's heirloom (Two cousins are both growing the same
Grandma's garlic, so it's pretty well recommended) scaping garlic since
it had gone yellow far enough or way too far on one plant. Not sure what
it is - looks similar to the SR, but is a bit earlier. Will try
taste-testing comparison in a little while. Given one bulb of it,
planted all 11 cloves, two of the plants expired early for no clear
reason, got 9 bulbs - a bulb in time yields nine...I'll probably save 3
or 4 for seed this year, which should get it built up to where I can
save my usual 8-12 heads for seed next year, and eat more of it.

Pulled a few of my Spanish Roja which had gone far enough - the rest
looks like it might actually want a few more days.

My mutt garlic is well-beyond-time, and also shuffling itself off my
list by comparison. Much smaller bulbs. Waning yields from it was part
of the reason for getting the SR in the first place. Gave them equally
pampered beds this year, and there's little contest. SR won our informal
taste sampling at a garlic festival when we were looking for a new seed
garlic candidate...

Old 21-07-2013, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:

Pulled a few of my Spanish Roja which had gone far enough - the rest
looks like it might actually want a few more days.

My mutt garlic is well-beyond-time, and also shuffling itself off my
list by comparison. Much smaller bulbs. Waning yields from it was part
of the reason for getting the SR in the first place. Gave them equally
pampered beds this year, and there's little contest. SR won our informal
taste sampling at a garlic festival when we were looking for a new seed
garlic candidate...

after the heat of last week i'm also able
to get back outside and get things done.

i'll be out cutting garlic tops off today and
lifting garlic too if i can get to it. that is
the task for the next few days.

songbird
Old 25-07-2013, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default nature does some wild things (was: Garlic harvest...

songbird wrote:
i'll be out cutting garlic tops off today and
lifting garlic too if i can get to it. that is
the task for the next few days.

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8088_Garlic_Top.jpg

babies making babies...

songbird