Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost already. Early?

I think it is the begining of the end of even autumn.
The grass was lightly crunching under my feet earlier this morning.
My car was flashing -1 to -2. with a slight dusting of frost on the
windscreen.
Just got myself a rocket off of the boss 'cos I should have turned the
heating on for the office staff. To be fair I should have set it.
October 1st and frosty. What next?

Baz
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I think it is the begining of the end of even autumn.
The grass was lightly crunching under my feet earlier this morning.
My car was flashing -1 to -2. with a slight dusting of frost on the
windscreen.

I've forgotten where you are located. Over in sunny Essex it was
a warm piddling it down 1st October this morning. Nice clear full
mooned sky last night, too (or maybe one day past it).

Just got myself a rocket off of the boss 'cos I should have turned the
heating on for the office staff. To be fair I should have set it.
October 1st and frosty. What next?

I've instructed Nick that the central heating is not allowed on until
November. I think he's glad he's out of the country for at leat half
of October. ;-)
(Although I may have a fight on my hands when he comes back and he's
been basking in the twenties)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
I think it is the begining of the end of even autumn.
The grass was lightly crunching under my feet earlier this morning.
My car was flashing -1 to -2. with a slight dusting of frost on the
windscreen.
Just got myself a rocket off of the boss 'cos I should have turned the
heating on for the office staff. To be fair I should have set it.
October 1st and frosty. What next?

There was a roof frost here a week or so back.

We've had a run of warm autumns, but I don't think that frost in early
October or even September is all that unusual in the long run. Some
years we get an early October frost, and then no more for over a month -
at this time of year frosts depend on getting the right combination of
clear skies and low winds.

It does seem to be cooler this year. Last year I didn't turn the CH on
until December, but this year the temperature has already hovering just
above the temperature where heating is needed for a couple of weeks.

Baz

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
[...]

Having read the comments on CH, how low does the inside temperature have to
get before you turn the CH on?
I suppose mornings and evenings are more important than mid-day or overnight
unless you are in the house al day.

For me, 14C inside the house is just a bit too cool.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Will you be setting the thermostat to 16C for the rest of the winter?

There will be a thermostat war later this year. I will turn the heat off
until it hits 17 or 18. 16 is too cold if I'm just sat down. Nick likes
it on till 21. :-/

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
I think it is the begining of the end of even autumn.
The grass was lightly crunching under my feet earlier this morning.
My car was flashing -1 to -2. with a slight dusting of frost on the
windscreen.
Just got myself a rocket off of the boss 'cos I should have turned the
heating on for the office staff. To be fair I should have set it.
October 1st and frosty. What next?

Baz
You're lucky. Our first frost was a couple of weeks ago. Enough to need to defrost the car windows, but not enough to kill the nasturtiums.
__________________
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:31:34 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Having read the comments on CH, how low does the inside temperature have to
get before you turn the CH on?
I suppose mornings and evenings are more important than mid-day or overnight
unless you are in the house al day.

For me, 14C inside the house is just a bit too cool.

Cheers

Dave R

I suppose a lot depends on where the central thermostat is. Here it's
in the hall (away from the front door) and is set at 12.5C. There are
thermostatic valves on all rads. The kickspace heaters in the kitchen
are rarely turned on and one of the rads in the lounge and the one in
my home office are permanently turned off.

FWIW No cavity wall insulation as there are bats in the cavity.

I've also found it a lot cheaper to set the (21 year old) boiler
thermostat to low and both heating and water to constant. I was told
last week that as the boiler is about 85% efficient and a new one
would be about 90% efficient, it's not financially worthwhile changing
it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:31:34 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

Having read the comments on CH, how low does the inside temperature
have to get before you turn the CH on?

We never turn it off. The programable thermostat might not trip the
heating for a couple of weeks around midsummer first thing in the morning
and late afternoon but for the last month it's being doing that
consistently and more recently firing up during the day. Living room is
set to 18.5C daytime,rising to 20C from 1600 to 2300, overnight is 15C I
think. There is nearly always some one in.

For me, 14C inside the house is just a bit too cool.

Agreed, for a living room not too bad for a bedroom but would require
fully fluffed up feather and down winter duvet, a blanket and socks.

As to frosts we've had several ground frosts already and possibly one air
frost. 4 more weeks and we can expect the first snow...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Our CH is programmed so that unless it is very, very cold it doesn't
come on at night and is set to a low temperature so that it is
virtually off during most of the day - the sun heats the living room
so on most days it isn't needed on anyway. We have Danfoss taps on all
the radiators.

The radiators are all switched off upstairs, and the 'cold' temp is about
10' for nighttime. But cos of the thermostat war, it's not always clear
to the central heating when it's night time

Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 14:56:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

Agreed, for a living room not too bad for a bedroom but would require
fully fluffed up feather and down winter duvet, a blanket and socks.

We have synthetic hollow fibre duvet fillings.

Not keen on synthetic hollow fibre fillings, if you get too hot the space
doesn't "breath" as nicely as a feather and down. And with feather and
down you can regulate the warmth by fluffing it up (or not).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:24:27 +0200, Martin wrote:

The chap who told me tested it and said it was 85% efficient as at
last week.

Interesting. How did he measure the efficiency?

Normally by measuring the temperature of the flue gases. The cooler they
are the more heat has been taken out of them on passage through the
boiler.

I've been thinking about piping from the flue to the greenhouse to
utilise that wasted 15% of the heat.

Mind you don't gas those in the greenhouse

The plants won't mind the warmth and CO2, might have to keep an eye on
the humidity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 17:34:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

I've been thinking about piping from the flue to the greenhouse to
utilise that wasted 15% of the heat.

Mind you don't gas those in the greenhouse

The plants won't mind the warmth and CO2, might have to keep an eye on
the humidity.

There's acid in the flue gasses.

Rain water is acid. OK carbonic rather than sulphuric or nitric that'll
be in flue gases but the concentration is very low otherwise boilers and
their flues wouldn't last as long as they do...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

The chap who told me tested it and said it was 85% efficient as at
last week. I've been thinking about piping from the flue to the
greenhouse to utilise that wasted 15% of the heat.[color=blue][i]
We've been thinking about sending the waste heat to the basement. But that would need a pump.

We've got radiator valves which helps to keep rooms at vastly different temperatures, provided we are good about shutting doors. I like a very warm bathroom, I need a warm study as I'm working at my computer and letting my metabolism run low, but I like a cool bedroom.
__________________
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

We find just the opposite. The manmade fibres are too hot and make the
duvets too heavy. We have feather pillows and duvets and pure cotton
sheets as polycotton is too warm.

The best I've found is a duvet with raw silk 'filling'. Thin, light and
good for summer and winter. (Its also been through the washing
machine).

--
regards andyw
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

We saw silk duvets being made in China. I think they cost about £300
over here and they weren't cheap there. Our feather duvet is one of
those with two layers but we've never found it necessary to use two.
Our house is pretty warm and rarely draughty, so one layer does us fine.

Not sure about ones with silk outers, but the cotton outer and raw silk
inner are considerably cheaper than that (otherwise I wouldn't have
one

--
regards andyw