Old 13-08-2013, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Summer Squash Wars

(Orecchiette [Little Ears] With) Zucchini And Tomato

Bel Mondo restaurant, Sydney
Servings: 4 - 6
Preparation Time: 30 minutes

2 Leeks, cleaned and cut into Rounds
2 clove Garlic, minced
2 Or 3 medium zucchini, cut Into 1/2 cm semi-circles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
120 grams of tomato sauce (original recipe recommends: 600 g Tomatoes,
ripe, chopped
2 tsp of dried parsley (original recipe recommends: 1 Handful flat-leaf
parsley Roughly chopped)
1 dash pepper
---

200 grams of whole wheat orrecchiete or other short pasta
1 tsp sea salt

--

Grated Parmesan or pecorino to taste (30 grams)

Fry the leeks, garlic and zucchini in the olive oil for half a minute.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil, add the
pasta and cook until al dente.

Add the parsley to the tomato mixture and season.
Toss it with the cooked and drained pasta and serve with the grated
cheese.

Any pasta left over is perfect for lunch the next day.

Buuuuuuurp! Yep ;O)
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
(Orecchiette [Little Ears] With) Zucchini And Tomato

Bel Mondo restaurant, Sydney
Servings: 4 - 6
Preparation Time: 30 minutes

2 Leeks, cleaned and cut into Rounds
2 clove Garlic, minced
2 Or 3 medium zucchini, cut Into 1/2 cm semi-circles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
120 grams of tomato sauce (original recipe recommends: 600 g Tomatoes,
ripe, chopped

This substitution could make a huge difference depending on what is in the
tomato sauce.

2 tsp of dried parsley (original recipe recommends: 1 Handful
flat-leaf parsley Roughly chopped)

This substitution is weird. What is the point of dried parsley?

1 dash pepper
---

200 grams of whole wheat orrecchiete or other short pasta
1 tsp sea salt

--

Grated Parmesan or pecorino to taste (30 grams)

Fry the leeks, garlic and zucchini in the olive oil for half a minute.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil, add the
pasta and cook until al dente.

Add the parsley to the tomato mixture and season.
Toss it with the cooked and drained pasta and serve with the grated
cheese.

Any pasta left over is perfect for lunch the next day.

Buuuuuuurp! Yep ;O)

Sounds excellent.

Aren't you going to translate from those gram thingies to real measurements
though?

David

Old 31-08-2013, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
(Orecchiette [Little Ears] With) Zucchini And Tomato

Bel Mondo restaurant, Sydney
Servings: 4 - 6
Preparation Time: 30 minutes

2 Leeks, cleaned and cut into Rounds
2 clove Garlic, minced
2 Or 3 medium zucchini, cut Into 1/2 cm semi-circles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
120 grams of tomato sauce (original recipe recommends: 600 g Tomatoes,
ripe, chopped

This substitution could make a huge difference depending on what is in the
tomato sauce.

Oh, I knooow.

Easy Vodka Sauce

Ingredients Edit and Save
Original recipe makes 10 servings Change Servings

€ 1/2 cup butter
€ 1 onion, diced
€ 1 cup vodka
€ 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
(Oy, make that 2 lbs of fresh tomatoes :O)
€ 1 pint heavy cream
Directions
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion in butter until
slightly brown and soft. Pour in vodka and let cook for 10 minutes. Mix
in crushed tomatoes and cook for 30 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and
cook for another 30 minutes.
-----

like the original said, 1 1/3 lbs tomatoes. I then make adjustments
according to what I'm going to serve it on, i.e. Bolognese Sauce,
Marinara Sauce, Putanesca Sauce, or just plain, puréed tomatoes (I'm not
fussy about skins and seeds.). I'm sure any of these would work fine
with the Orecchiette and Zucchini above, and for soaking up with bread
afterwards. Then all you need is a fresh dinner salad, a bottle of wine,
and interesting dinner guests.

2 tsp of dried parsley (original recipe recommends: 1 Handful
flat-leaf parsley Roughly chopped)

I can see that I should have vetted the recipe first. Use only the
freshest ingredients that you have for best effect, and that goes for
the leeks, garlic, zucchini, and the tomatoes as well.

This substitution is weird. What is the point of dried parsley?

Flavor.

1 dash pepper
---

200 grams of whole wheat orrecchiete or other short pasta
1 tsp sea salt

I was shown how to cook by a Frenchman who, strangely enough, thought
that cooking with salt was a crutch, and that properly seasoned, most
meals didn't require salt. We never have salt on the table, and rarely
use it in the kitchen (usually to sweat cucumbers).

--

Grated Parmesan or pecorino to taste (30 grams)

Fry the leeks, garlic and zucchini in the olive oil for half a minute.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil, add the
pasta and cook until al dente.

Add the parsley to the tomato mixture and season.
Toss it with the cooked and drained pasta and serve with the grated
cheese.

Any pasta left over is perfect for lunch the next day.

Buuuuuuurp! Yep ;O)

Sounds excellent.

Aren't you going to translate from those gram thingies to real measurements
though?

150 grams + 454 grams (600 grams) is approximately 1 1/3 lbs or
0.094483827 stone.

454 grams = 1 lb, or 0.071428571 stone. I mean, why use 454 grams, or
0.071428571 stone, when you can just use 1 pound?

English Measure is really very simple
It is 5,280 ft. to the mile, not that complicated 1000 meters to a
kilometer. I might also mention that a mile is bigger than that puny
little kilometer (We'er number one!). I mean, if you wanted to know how
many feet in 4 miles, it is obvious that it is 21,120 feet, where as, if
you wanted to know haw many meters there were in 4 kilometers, not
everyone would come up with the number 4000!

A meter is 100 centimeters, about 40 inches, or 1 yard, 4 inches.
Yards are very simple to use with 3 feet to the yard, and 12 inches to
the foot, and the inch is divided, for your easy use, into 8/8ths of an
inch.

It gets even worse ;O) 1 gram of water, is essentially 1 milliliter of
water under normal room conditions (Yes, confusing, I know.). If you
have a a 1000 grams of water (1 kilogram), you have a 1000 milliliters
of water, which is to say, a liter. The horror of 2 ideas in your mind
at the same time. Mon dieu, it can be a real nightmare.

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint, and 2
pints to a quart, and 4 quarts to a gallon which is 0.13368056 cubic
feet, here in the U.S.

I just don't see how the metric system will ever catch on.

David

Again, the simplest approach to summer squash is to sauté them in butter
with about 1 Tbl. of shallots, and add small handful of chopped parsley
that has only seconds before been picked from the garden (you neighbor's
if necessary) a minute before you serve. Season to taste with parmesan.

Bon Appétit

Old 31-08-2013, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

But that's the problem, dried parsley doesn't have any. You could
substitute dried newspaper and you couldn't tell the difference. Parsley
and mint are two herbs that are just not worth using dried.

1 dash pepper
---

[...]

:-)

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint, and 2
pints to a quart, and 4 quarts to a gallon which is 0.13368056 cubic
feet, here in the U.S.

But you forgot to mention that a quart of water is about 936 mls but a quart
of beans is about 1101 mls. How stupid that the metric system cannot
measure beans, just as well that NASA doesn't power its rockets with gas,
they might never reach orbit.

I just don't see how the metric system will ever catch on.

That's what they say in Myanmar and Liberia too.

It is very easy to use the metric system as you and both know but it is the
conversion that is the problem; it requires will, legislation and funding
all of which are conspicuously absent in the redoubts of traditional
measure. Give it 20-30 years and the Chinese will probably force it on the
USA.

David

Old 31-08-2013, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

I'll bow to your superior familiarity, as I've never used dry parsley.
I've had mint tea before, though, made from little paper bags on
strings, and it tasted like mint. I have mint in the garden, but rarely
make tea (tisane) from it, but I do use it, and a quarter of a lemon to
flavor the drinking water that I take to work.

1 dash pepper
---

[...]

I didn't forget. I was ignorant of the fact that when a liquid quart
dries out, it expands. Very interesting. I'll look at the Standard Model
and see if I can find an explanation for it.

I just don't see how the metric system will ever catch on.

That's what they say in Myanmar and Liberia too.

Myanmar is on its own, but Liberia is obviously our fault.

It is very easy to use the metric system as you and both know but it is the
conversion that is the problem; it requires will, legislation and funding
all of which are conspicuously absent in the redoubts of traditional
measure. Give it 20-30 years and the Chinese will probably force it on the
USA.

Never underestimate American stupidity!

It is embarrassing that the most lowly undocumented worker who slips
into the U.S. is schooled in the world's measurement system, whereas
most educated USians are totally ignorant of it.

David

Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint,

That is precisley what my sodding Pyrezx measuring jugs made in the US keep
trying to tell me.

Every time I drag them out of the cupboard, I correct them and tell them in
no uncertain terms that there are 20 ounces in a Pint but they are totally
recalitrant an drefuse to believe it and will never correct their erroneous
markings. I have to always make sure that I add the extra 4 ounces or
otherwise I'd be short in my Pint measures.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint,

That is precisley what my sodding Pyrezx measuring jugs made in the
US keep trying to tell me.

Every time I drag them out of the cupboard, I correct them and tell
them in no uncertain terms that there are 20 ounces in a Pint but
they are totally recalitrant an drefuse to believe it and will never
correct their erroneous markings. I have to always make sure that I
add the extra 4 ounces or otherwise I'd be short in my Pint measures.

I am sorry to tell you that even then you don't have an imperial pint as
their fluid ounce isn't the same as an imperial one.

An imperial pint is about 19.2 fluid oz US.

;-(

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint,

That is precisley what my sodding Pyrezx measuring jugs made in the
US keep trying to tell me.

Every time I drag them out of the cupboard, I correct them and tell
them in no uncertain terms that there are 20 ounces in a Pint but
they are totally recalitrant an drefuse to believe it and will never
correct their erroneous markings. I have to always make sure that I
add the extra 4 ounces or otherwise I'd be short in my Pint measures.

I am sorry to tell you that even then you don't have an imperial pint as
their fluid ounce isn't the same as an imperial one.

An imperial pint is about 19.2 fluid oz US.

:-(((( You mean I'm going ot have to lie with my head level with the
marking on the jug and then add a dollop extra?

Here I was feeling near enough was good enough by just gluggin more into the
Pyrex jug till it was almost overflowing because I was too darned idle to
empty it and then remeasure another 4 ounces.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

It's all very confusing when you're used to 16 ounces to a pint,

That is precisley what my sodding Pyrezx measuring jugs made in the
US keep trying to tell me.

Every time I drag them out of the cupboard, I correct them and tell
them in no uncertain terms that there are 20 ounces in a Pint but
they are totally recalitrant an drefuse to believe it and will never
correct their erroneous markings. I have to always make sure that I
add the extra 4 ounces or otherwise I'd be short in my Pint
measures.

I am sorry to tell you that even then you don't have an imperial
pint as their fluid ounce isn't the same as an imperial one.

An imperial pint is about 19.2 fluid oz US.

:-(((( You mean I'm going ot have to lie with my head level with the
marking on the jug and then add a dollop extra?

Far be it for me to suggest where you keep your head in relation to your
feet.

Here I was feeling near enough was good enough by just gluggin more
into the Pyrex jug till it was almost overflowing because I was too
darned idle to empty it and then remeasure another 4 ounces.

It depends on what you are doing. Making soup:forget it. Making bread:
maybe be more careful.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

[...]

Nah! I can make bread with my eyes closed and have done so regularly for at
least 40 years so IME, the 'feel' of the bread during the making is more
important than the measures.