Old 14-11-2013, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Coated Seeds Question

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

for damping off problems i've always done ok using
grit on the surface instead of cooking the soil.

And where do you get the grit, bird?

pet store (birds need grit) or feed store
(chickens, etc. need grit).

however, in thinking a bit, it seems rather silly
to just not buy a sterile seed starting mix. you
don't need that much to get going and it isn't
that terribly expensive.

or... you could mix worm castings and compost in
the mix and see if that helps. it's not that hard
to trial.

or... or... i've heard mention of sharp sand
or mason sand being used in a similar manner as grit,
but i have not tried it myself so cannot say much
from direct experience.

songbird

Not raising poultry, the question of bird grit never occurred to me.

Thanks.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 14-11-2013, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

pet store (birds need grit) or feed store
(chickens, etc. need grit).

however, in thinking a bit, it seems rather silly
to just not buy a sterile seed starting mix. you
don't need that much to get going and it isn't
that terribly expensive.

or... you could mix worm castings and compost in
the mix and see if that helps. it's not that hard
to trial.

or... or... i've heard mention of sharp sand
or mason sand being used in a similar manner as grit,
but i have not tried it myself so cannot say much
from direct experience.

Not raising poultry, the question of bird grit never occurred to me.

Thanks.

you're welcome. i used to live with someone who had
a bunch of birds. messy, noisy, expensive hobby, plants
and worms are certainly more my speed. birds belong
outside or in a very large and fairly wild aviary, not
in a tiny cage. grr... anyways. time to fly.

cheers,

songbird
Old 17-11-2013, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

Humph, don't get all in a flap about it ;O)
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.