Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Coated Seeds Question

What is the deal with these things? I have a terrible time getting them to germinate. Is it me? I have tried soaking them, I have tried scoring them. I have tried just planting them. I can't tell you the number ratio of what comes up but enough don't that I am asking the question.
MJ
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
" wrote:

What is the deal with these things? I have a terrible time getting them to
germinate. Is it me? I have tried soaking them, I have tried scoring them. I
have tried just planting them. I can't tell you the number ratio of what
comes up but enough don't that I am asking the question.
MJ

Seed for what?
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:13:31 PM UTC-5, Billy wrote:
In article ,

" wrote:

What is the deal with these things? I have a terrible time getting them to

germinate. Is it me? I have tried soaking them, I have tried scoring them. I

have tried just planting them. I can't tell you the number ratio of what

comes up but enough don't that I am asking the question.

MJ

Seed for what?

--

Palestinian Child Detained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Pepper and tomato most frequently
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" wrote:

What is the deal with these things? I have a terrible time getting them

germinate. Is it me? I have tried soaking them, I have tried scoring
them. I

have tried just planting them. I can't tell you the number ratio of what

comes up but enough don't that I am asking the question.

MJ

Seed for what?

--

Palestinian Child Detained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Pepper and tomato most frequently

I wish I had an answer for you. The sales pitch for these coated seeds
is that either the coating protects, and promotes the plants, which you
say it didn't, or it is supposed to make the seed more amenable to
automatic planting systems.

I get at least 2/3 germination from new seeds, often more. Empirically,
it seems that you do worse. I would ask the company what's going on, if
I had any interest in continuing this effort.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

"Gardening is the purest of human pleasures."
- Francis Bacon

Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:45:35 AM UTC-5, Billy wrote:
In article ,

" wrote:

[...]

These are replacement seeds for the first ones that didn't germinate Out of a whole package of pepper seeds I have 2 that sprouted. I am still waiting for the
second round of tomatoes. Go figure
MJ

Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

These are replacement seeds for the first ones that didn't germinate Out
of a whole package of pepper seeds I have 2 that sprouted. I am still
waiting for the
second round of tomatoes. Go figure
MJ

do you use heat pads under the seed trays?

songbird

I'm guessing that these seeds are meant for direct planting. The
coatings are meant to assure germination and/or spacing. IIRC, much of
this pelletizing is done for grain crops, and alfalfa (lucern) which are
then mechanically sown. With that in mind, pelletizing peppers, and
tomato seeds would seem to imply a more ambitious planting than most
gardeners would consider.

Direct planting in the U.S. at this time of year may still be an option
in Florida, but direct planting anywhere else would be severely limited
by soil temperature. Tomatoes, and peppers need a soil temp of about 70
F to germinate, and at least 60 F to grow. Perhaps, "mjciccarel" is
antipodal, and already in mid-spring.

Still, seed coating can also serve as a carrier of fungicides,
bactericides, and insecticides that protect the seed and emerging
seedling. If it truly worked, it would allow me , perhaps, to skip the
sterilizing of my germination soil (181 F/ 20 min.), which I do to avoid
"damping off".

"Ciccarel", does that come with an Italian pronunciation?

Ciao

Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:03:48 PM UTC-5, Billy wrote:
In article ,

[...]

Yep Italian by marriage. I am in South Eastern North Carolina. My green house is small enough that I can keep those temperatures through out the winter. Well, as long as it doesn't get crazy cold. USUALLY I have established plants by now and they are much easier to maintain. I have just had a hard time getting anything started this fall. I do have 2 large pepper plants that are still producing and one tomato that is on its' way out. I took a cutting from that at stuck it into a hydroponic pot hoping for the best but not counting on it. That plant still has 8 green tomatoes. I have 6 more hydroponic pots that I hate to have empty. I have some broccoli in one and some onion sets in another. I have lettuce and spinich in pots with dirt and they are starting to take off. It has been really warm here until the last week or so.
MJ
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
I'm guessing that these seeds are meant for direct planting. The
coatings are meant to assure germination and/or spacing. IIRC, much of
this pelletizing is done for grain crops, and alfalfa (lucern) which are
then mechanically sown. With that in mind, pelletizing peppers, and
tomato seeds would seem to imply a more ambitious planting than most
gardeners would consider.

coated seeds in quantity are for greenhouse growers
who have machines to plant entire trays at a shot (using
air pressure). rather nifty idea actually. some of
them are even pre-treated to start germination so that
the grower has fewer days of waiting for sprouts. these
must be kept carefully refrigerated.

in field applications (alfalfas, clovers, etc) the
coating is also likely innoculated with beneficial
nitrogen fixing bacterial species.

for damping off problems i've always done ok using
grit on the surface instead of cooking the soil.

songbird
Old 13-11-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

And where do you get the grit, bird?

songbird

Old 14-11-2013, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

for damping off problems i've always done ok using
grit on the surface instead of cooking the soil.

And where do you get the grit, bird?

pet store (birds need grit) or feed store
(chickens, etc. need grit).

however, in thinking a bit, it seems rather silly
to just not buy a sterile seed starting mix. you
don't need that much to get going and it isn't
that terribly expensive.

or... you could mix worm castings and compost in
the mix and see if that helps. it's not that hard
to trial.

or... or... i've heard mention of sharp sand
or mason sand being used in a similar manner as grit,
but i have not tried it myself so cannot say much
from direct experience.

songbird