Old 13-02-2014, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default billy did you get some rain?

i sure keep hoping that the rains do come along
soon for you out there.

we're still getting some snow, the forecast is
that coming up next week we might have at least
three days in a row with highs above 30F. a heat
wave!

i feel sorry for all those in the south who are
getting another taste of the winter snow/ice and
mixed crud.

at least up here we know what we're getting into
each year. or at least we think we know.

now, someone tell me, where are the bunny eaters
or coywolves at? nothing here is looking like it
is doing much. the bunny population will certainly
need thinning come spring. cute little buggers.
*sigh*

songbird
Old 14-02-2014, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

i sure keep hoping that the rains do come along
soon for you out there.

we're still getting some snow, the forecast is
that coming up next week we might have at least
three days in a row with highs above 30F. a heat
wave!

i feel sorry for all those in the south who are
getting another taste of the winter snow/ice and
mixed crud.

at least up here we know what we're getting into
each year. or at least we think we know.

now, someone tell me, where are the bunny eaters
or coywolves at? nothing here is looking like it
is doing much. the bunny population will certainly
need thinning come spring. cute little buggers.
*sigh*

songbird

We got about 7" over 5 days, but most of that was in the North Bay. The
mustards came up quickly, giving the county some normal early year
color. The ranchers are starting to unwind a little. They were wound up
pretty tight when no rain fell to grow pasture, and they were having to
buy feed. We are now about 40% of normal (9") for the year, and we are
supposed to get a little more this week, but not the gully washer that
last weeks storm gave us.

Reservoir flows to the Russian River have been cut, and water
conservation may impact local vineyards if they need to draw water from
the river for frost control. Large fans have become popular, but in a
hard frost, there is nothing like sprinklers.

Hope springs eternal, and I may yet have a garden this year.

Sorry to hear about your cute little varmints. It's not as bad as the
story about the 2 yr. old giraffe that was killed at a Belgium zoo, and
then feed him to the lions.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-kills-young-g
iraffe-deemed-surplus-feeds-lions.html
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 14-02-2014, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

i sure keep hoping that the rains do come along
soon for you out there.

now, someone tell me, where are the bunny eaters
or coywolves at? nothing here is looking like it
is doing much. the bunny population will certainly
need thinning come spring. cute little buggers.
*sigh*

We got about 7" over 5 days, but most of that was in the North Bay. The
mustards came up quickly, giving the county some normal early year
color. The ranchers are starting to unwind a little. They were wound up
pretty tight when no rain fell to grow pasture, and they were having to
buy feed. We are now about 40% of normal (9") for the year, and we are
supposed to get a little more this week, but not the gully washer that
last weeks storm gave us.

ah, good to hear, i certainly would not want to be a
rancher out there, even the grass fed farmers with deep
sod would still have some trouble if the drought goes
on for years.

Reservoir flows to the Russian River have been cut, and water
conservation may impact local vineyards if they need to draw water from
the river for frost control. Large fans have become popular, but in a
hard frost, there is nothing like sprinklers.

Hope springs eternal, and I may yet have a garden this year.

Sorry to hear about your cute little varmints. It's not as bad as the
story about the 2 yr. old giraffe that was killed at a Belgium zoo, and
then feed him to the lions.

yeah, i saw that one in the headlines... i'm of mixed
opinions, as once you get into zoos and zookeeping those
with the most land restriction are going to be close to
feedlot conditions for most of the herbivores. this was
at least somewhat of a natural progression of a normal
food chain for giraffe and lion. so was it gardening for
lions from the lion's perspective?

songbird