Old 16-03-2014, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Beginning to warm up

Looks like no freezing weather here for the next ten day. Keeping
my fingers crossed. Set out my onions yesterday, over 100 started
from seed. Then planted about 150 pea seeds. I think I can still
move.

Today I will start my tomatoes in the greenhouse. If I get moving
before the rain starts I may set out my broccoli and lettuce.

After that I will be very thankful to get to my water exercise class
tomorrow. I can move more in the water without pain.

Then I think I will read a couple of books.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 16-03-2014, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
Looks like no freezing weather here for the next ten day. Keeping
my fingers crossed. Set out my onions yesterday, over 100 started
from seed. Then planted about 150 pea seeds. I think I can still
move.

Today I will start my tomatoes in the greenhouse. If I get moving
before the rain starts I may set out my broccoli and lettuce.

After that I will be very thankful to get to my water exercise class
tomorrow. I can move more in the water without pain.

Then I think I will read a couple of books.

Just when we thought it was over ... tonight's weather prediction includes
low temps tonight near 20°F , sleet , ice , and snow . I'll be covering
those newly-planted strawberries for sure ! The wild garlic is up , but
should be OK , and I noticed that one or more of the walking onions that I
planted in her flower boxes survived .
Right now it's raining , supposed to last all day and turn to "wintry mix"
by late afternoon . There go any plans to work in the garden or bring in
firewood today (sigh) , I guess I'll just have to go play out in the machine
shop .
--
Snag

Old 17-03-2014, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/16/2014 9:55 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The Cook wrote:
[...]

Looks like at least 4 inches of global warming this morning.

Whoopee! Should make it the 2nd snowiest year ever recorded in DE.

Another foot would make it number one.

Meanwhile I've seeded my toilet paper roll pots with tomatoes.
Old 17-03-2014, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

My 'maters are about 4" tall now ... but the lettuce I tried to start in
pots has been a miserable failure , as are the brassicas I planted kale,bok
choy , cauliflower in starter pods . Cayennes and eggplants are doing well
.... not sure about the garlic , it started out well but some of them are
turning yellow and don't look well .
--
Snag
And we've had the coldest/wettest winter

Old 17-03-2014, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

Frost free date here is not until May 15 and tomatoes should be started
6-8 weeks before that. I had trouble in the past starting them too
early and had been buying plants. Now I'm doing some heirlooms. Don't
grow nearly as much as I used to as garden is now shaded and invaded by
the rats with hooves.

Old 17-03-2014, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

You mean freezer fodder ? We live way out in the woods , if it's already
in your freezer ...
--
Snag

Old 17-03-2014, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
[...]

Not far enough out in the woods and wife does not like my solution to
the deer problem. Off site relatives are in the freezer.