Old 20-06-2014, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pest ID help

While checking things out in the garden yesterday , I found 2 kinds of
bugs on some of my tomato leaves . The small pear-shaped green ones are
aphids , but I can't find any info on the other one . At first glance they
look like tiny pieces of white thread about 1/16" long . Under a magnifier
they're tiny little bugs that kinda-sorta have a resemblance to a praying
mantis . I powdered the entire tomato patch with DiPel , a BT based product
, making sure I covered both top and bottom of the leaves . Hopefully this
will control whatever it is . If it's a predator bug , it shouldn't be
harmed since it won't be eating the leaves ...
--
Snag

Old 21-06-2014, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
While checking things out in the garden yesterday , I found 2 kinds
of bugs on some of my tomato leaves . The small pear-shaped green
ones are aphids , but I can't find any info on the other one . At
first glance they look like tiny pieces of white thread about 1/16"
long . Under a magnifier they're tiny little bugs that kinda-sorta
have a resemblance to a praying mantis . I powdered the entire
tomato patch with DiPel , a BT based product , making sure I covered
both top and bottom of the leaves . Hopefully this will control
whatever it is . If it's a predator bug , it shouldn't be harmed
since it won't be eating the leaves ...

I think this was a waste of time as BT specifically attacks the lining if
the gut of insect larvae (grubs and caterpillars) who eat it. This is why
it is generally safe for predatory insect and miscellaneous other living
things as either it doesn't attack their gut or they don't eat it. Aphids
don't eat the leaves as they are sap-suckers, the BT is non-systemic so it
sits on the outside and doesn't get into the sap. For aphids you can hose
them off, they cannot climb back up to the top of the plant where the soft
shoots and buds are. Or use one of the milder contact sprays like
pyrethrum.

Old 21-06-2014, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Thanks , I'll check out the pyrethrum . I have to be very careful now
about what I use and when . We have a new bee hive out in the orchard , and
we don't want to poison Our Ladies of the Hive .

--
Snag

Old 21-06-2014, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Pyrethrum is strictly contact, if the bees don't get sprayed they are not
harmed. Do it by moonlight when they are all in bed.

Old 21-06-2014, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I've been reading up ... was just out in the garden , noticed that there
are a lot of yellow leaves on some of the tomatoes and pole beans , some
with black spots . Also have a black mold-like substance on the stems of
some of my tomatoes . Some tomato leaves are curled some and have black
edges .
Ideas anyone ? I'm still really kinda new to gardening , and the related
pests and various diseases .
--
Snag

Old 22-06-2014, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Perhaps buy a book that lists all these things with colour pictures of the
pest and the effect they produce. I have one by Valerie Swain but it may
not be available where you are.

Old 22-06-2014, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I have sometthing even better , I have an older gentleman gardener that
loves to share his knowledge of local problems . I carried a couple of the
yellowed leaves over yesterday bought some 'maters from him , mine ain't
ripe yet and he knew at first glance what the problem was and how to fix it
.. He wasn't sure of the name of the particular fungus , but he knew what to
use to stop it . Sprayed fungicide last night at dusk and today they're
recovering nicely .

--
Snag